Chapter Six

Elf. 

Elf. 

This was the only thing anyone seemed interested in. 

Scientists were scrambling to come up with a possible explanation, only to find one solution: magic. 

Sophie pulled out her airpods (she was listening to the latest and false news about the mysterious creature called Elf) and walked into the hospital. 

She was determined to avoid Fin. 

Sure, she had thought she liked him, but the kiss felt wrong. 

All she wanted to do was run away from him and kick him until he apologized. 

So, nooo.

However, the universe had something else planned for her. Fin stood looking rather anxious at the staff room, and immediately rushed over to Sophie when he saw her. 

If he wanted to talk now, then alright. There was no way Sophie could avoid this forever. 

"Look," he began, "that was unexpected. And I'm sorry."

Sophie sighed. He really did look pouty. 

"It's okay. But..." Sophie didn't know how to continue the next part. 

"But?" Fin urged. 

"But didn't you notice how awkward that was? It didn't feel right." Sophie hated herself. First she had this conversation with Dex and now Fin. She hoped this would be the last time. 

"I guess not." Fin looked at his shoes. "But I thought this was how it was supposed to be. I mean, you're the first person I've ever kissed so..." He blushed when Sophie stared surprised at him. "Well, sorry. Can we still be friends?"

"Why shouldn't we?" Sophie grinned. "And, I'm sorry too. That I had to steal your first kiss."

Fin hooked his arm through Sophie's and led her out the door. "C'mon, late girl, you have a surgery to perform."

       .....................................................................................................

Sophie stretched, grinning. Today's surgery had been a success, despite the lack of doctors and nurses. Everyone seemed shaken by the "elf" news. 

"Nicely done, Hart." Fin said. "A nice accomplishment. Wanna go out for a quick drink?"

"I would love to, but I promised Char I'll pick her up right after. So, maybe later?" 

Before Fin could reply, a doctor came in the room, a newspaper in hand, looking frantic. 

"Rememberthevisionweallsawlastnight?" He gasped. Fin and Sophie stared back at him. 

"Huh?" Fin said, scratching his neck. 

"Well, turns out everyone saw it over the night! Now it's everywhere on the news! See?" He handed Sophie a piece of newspaper. 

 ELF: REAL OR NOT REAL?

The newest outbreak of sudden visions concern many people, scientists say. It started in Chicago, and Elementary Student Kevin Breyer was the first to experience this. It soon spread to people around him, a contagious thing, College professor Dr. Guent says, and now, it appears to be that everyone in this world witnessed this sudden outbreak. 

And it is about one thing, perhaps one species like us humans: Elves. 

We have seen a man flying in San Diego not shortly before, and could this two indescribable events be connected? Are elves not tiny pointy-eared creatures we have seen in fairy tales but handsome men? And do we know if this is real?

Dr. Guent has some predictions. "It is unlikely," she states, "for the amygdala of all beings in this world to suddenly function the same vision, if, for example, the 'elves' are fake. It has to be something beyond our wildest imaginations. Something quite simply like magic. But I also believe we would've known about the elves if they are as widespread as us, and we do not. Perhaps this could mean elves are disguised as humans and are secretly spying on us for a cause only they can understand, or we are vulnerable and oblivious to the obvious. Either way, we must take precautions wherever we may go."

Military general Gaunt Ford suggests we get ready for battle in case there would be a war as it said in the vision. 

"Another weird thing," Doctor Hicker says, "is that the children were the first to see the vision. And they did not see anything that said war. That was only for the adults."

There are currently lots of questions. But never fear; all we have to do now is work our way to the answers. 

Sophie blinked. 

Military preparations? For a war?

And what was the meaning of this? Perhaps the humans were functioning driven by their fears. 

Meanwhile, the elves had no idea what in the world was going on. 

Heck, they could be drinking coconuts and dancing in paradise for all Sophie knew. 

She was once again a girl caught between two worlds. And this time, she had to be the one to make the choice. The right thing seemed clear. 

She was going back to the Lost Cities. 

Hey guys!

This was weird, I hated writing this chapter. So I guess this is why I decided to make Sophie go back. 

Sokeefe on the way!

SilverFox out :D