Chapter Twenty

"We've made it out of that terrible place," said Amere as Ewyn and him exited out of the portal.

"Yes, and in one piece as well. I've never experienced such a hellish place before," said Ewyn.

The mystical gateway shined brightly as Amere and Ewyn gazed at it. The golden light emanating from the doorway nearly blinded Amere. He felt his eyes burn, becoming irritated at the sight of the portal. He raised his hand and shielded his face. The portal grew smaller, shrinking rapidly. Seconds passed by, and it closed up and vanished out of their reality.

Amere and Ewyn moved their heads around, scanning their location.

"Look, Ewyn. The village is safe. The portal led us not far from the Re'el village. I can see the entrance," said Amere.

Ewyn sighed. "Thank Druvvalikar. Elorathorn and his demon army haven't reached the Re'eel yet," he said. "Here's to hoping he hasn't touched the other two elven clans either."

"Stop right there, hems!" yelled Kaylessa with her arrow aimed at Amere and Ewyn.

"What kind've spell was that? You're walking through portals now?" asked Tathlen, reaching for an arrow in his quiver.

"There's no need for your weapons. Both of you know who we are," said Ewyn.

"Explain the portal, searcor," said Kaylessa.

"It's a long story. Please, it isn't anything to worry about. We promise," said Amere.

Tathlen looked over at Kaylessa. "What do you think?" he asked.

"While it's true they were given clearance to enter into our village by Elorathorn, I find it a little suspicious that they're appearing out or portals. Who knows what their plot may be? After all, we're dealing with hems, and not just hems, one is a trained searcor," said Kaylessa.

"You have to trust us. Please, allow us back into your village. We can explain ourselves to the other clan leaders," said Ewyn.

"You all are in grave danger," said Amere.

"Grave danger? From what? You hems? We already know," said Tathlen.

"No, from your own clan leader," said Amere.

"Amere," uttered Ewyn sternly. "Do not tell them."

"It seems to be the only way we'll make headway here, Ewyn," said Amere.

"I'm intrigued. Tell us more on how we are in supposed danger," said Kaylessa.

"Your clan leader, Elorathorn, is behind the missing scouts in your village. He's behind the portal allowing demons to attack and kill your clansmen and women," said Amere.

"That's impossible. You hems lie. Elorathorn has served faithfully as our clan's Elder for hundreds of years. He's a kind, respected, wise man. His only goal has been the preservation of the clan and Elven people alike!" said Tathlen.

"It's true, I'm afraid. All of it. I'm sorry," said Ewyn.

"No, it can't! Elorathorn simply wouldn't betray us, much less, have his own people killed. What trickery is this?" asked Kaylessa.

"We're getting nowhere, Ewyn. I thought telling them the truth would get us ahead but I see it hasn't," said Amere.

"If you'd only allow us to speak with Arathar and Dunery, we could convince them and make our case. Elorathorn explained that he wanted you two to stand down and let us do business here. Will you defy him?" asked Ewyn.