𝗔𝗻 𝗜𝗱𝗲𝗮; 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗢𝗻𝗲

A/N: Please note that this sequence of events may not be accurate! This is fanfiction so I may twist things around in terms of time.
---------------------------------------------------——

KUMIKO YAMAMOTO stood in front of the school building, feeling cold yet warm on the inside.  Kumiko had her father come home today at a reasonable time for the first time in months. She was overjoyed, yet it wasn't very apparent that she was happy. Kumiko had no smile on her face; no emotion.

She had always been quite odd, at least that's what people used to describe her. She wasn't very great at showing emotion. Kumiko looked down at her feet then back to the school building. 'No use in spending time standing here, I guess.' She thought, walking through the front doors slowly.

A book was in her hand. Books, oh how very extraordinary they were to her. They allowed her to go someplace else, somewhere with no  sadness, somewhere without cloudy skies. Somewhere free. Yet, Kumiko knew there was never going to be a place like that. It's plain fiction, an outrageous thought.

The hallways were bare and long. Her shoes clattered against the white tiled floor. Kumiko felt as if she was walking forever until she finally reached her classroom. She put her hand on the doorknob and twisted it, walking in hesitantly. Her classmates all glanced at her.

"Oh, Kumiko! You're here! Go take a seat." Mr, Yashiro said, smiling at the girl.

Kumiko took her seat next to Kayo, the girl she found to be similar to herself. She fiddled with her fingers, not paying too much attention to Mr. Yashiro as he went back to teaching his lesson. The paint that her nails were coated with had begun to come off as she scratched the paint.

————------------—-----------------—----------->

THE BELL RANG which indicated it was lunchtime already. Kumiko mentally groaned inside her head as all the students began to converse, except Kayo of course. Kumiko sat there staring down at the floor. She wasn't in the mood for food and so, a tray with food on it sat on her desk. Waiting to be eaten.

Of course, she felt guilty. Making her father use his hard-earned money on lunch that she wouldn't eat in the first place. Kumiko thought if she should just suck it up and eat it. Her thoughts were interrupted when Satoru came up to her.

"Hey there, Kumiko!" He'd say with a light smile.

Kumiko hesitantly waved, not turning to look at him. She wasn't too pleased with his presence. She wanted him to leave.

Satoru was frustrated at the fact that she didn't seem to acknowledge him. 'Great, Kumiko is going to make it difficult to become friends with her.' He thought as he sighed mentally.

"My name's Satoru!"

"I already know your name," Kumiko said in a low tone. "Just leave me alone." She frowns, clearly not wanting him there much longer.

It wasn't very often Kumiko would speak so Kazu, one of Satoru's friends who was watching, was astonished.

Satoru nodded with a frown and walked back over to his friend group. "Satoru, I thought you were after Kayo! Now you're going for Kumiko?" One of his friends exclaimed.

"I already told you guys it's not like that!" Satoru sweats, glancing back to Kumiko who decided to read her book instead of eating.

Then, he got an idea.

"Hey Kenya, do you know what book that is?" Satoru asks, changing the subject.

"Huh? Oh yeah, it's a mystery book." Kenya nods, looking at the book she was reading then back to Satoru.

Satoru grins, instead of him getting closer to her, he should get Kenya to do it! They do have a common interest in reading after all. "Kenya, would you mind trying to spark a conversation with her about the book?"

Kenya thinks for a moment. "Depends why you're asking." He found it weird how he had a sudden interest in becoming acquainted with Kumiko.

"Well, notice how she and Kayo are always alone? I feel like it's not right. They should get to have friends too." Satoru frowns looking at the two girls who sat alone.

"Alright, sure. I'll try to talk to her tomorrow." Kenya smiles at Satoru. Satoru would smile back, his face showing determination.

'Kumiko, Kayo... I won't let you be alone this time!'