𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗖𝗼𝗻𝗳𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻; 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗘𝗹𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻

HER EYES widened as she laughed slightly, much to Kenya's surprise. He had never seen her laugh before. He stared at her for a second before she stopped laughing and looked at him, "What?"

Kenya cleared his throat, shaking his head slightly, "It's nothing. Do you want to help us?" He asked once again, ignoring the blush that was barely visible across his face.

Kumiko thought for a minute, "Yes, I'll help you guys." She said, slipping on her slippers and then putting on her jacket. She then walked out the door in her pink floral pajamas.

She instantly regretted coming outside in pajamas as she quickly found herself becoming cold. I'm so stupid. She thought, mentally groaning.

A thought then entered her mind, would Satoru and Kayo be mad at her for not going to the party? She hoped not, as it would be really embarrassing to say that she couldn't afford the ingredients needed to cook their favorite meals.

Kumiko continued to walk beside Kenya, who didn't look at her as he walked. She didn't mind, that was just the way they both were. Although, he quickly did something that she hadn't expected. She felt a warmth find its way into her hand, looking to find the source she saw Kenya's gloved hand intertwine with her bare hand.

Kumiko blushed and looked away slightly, Kenya looked at her for a moment, "You should've worn your gloves."

"Probably."

--------------------------------------------------------

KUMIKO AND KENYA had arrived at the retired, old school bus that was no longer used. Satoru and Kayo hadn't made it yet, Kenya had informed her that they were walking there now.

As Kenya and Kumiko were opening the air vents, they heard footsteps that sounded like two people. Those two people were Kayo and Satoru. Only Kenya came out of the bus as Kumiko was still opening the air vents.

"Hey! So you two came, about time." Kenya gave a small smile.

Satoru replied, "Yeah. Are you sure this is okay by the way?"

"Yep. They got a new bus last year so this one is just for storage now." Kenya explained, going back inside the bus. Satoru and Kayo followed behind him.

"Mind helping Kumiko open the vents?" Kenya asked Satoru, who was shocked.

"Kumiko?"

Kumiko had turned around, looking at Satoru. "Hey."

"What are you doing here?" Satoru asked, giving a friendly smile.

"Kenya invited me," Kumiko said honestly, turning back to the air vent. She had just finished opening it.

"Oh okay. Can I ask you a question? Why didn't you come to the party? Everyone wanted you there." He asked with a small frown.

Kumiko sighed, "It's embarrassing. I can't say cause I'd die of embarrassment." She laughed slightly, seemingly more comfortable around Satoru.

Satoru nodded while laughing aswell before helping out, he looked at an air vent, "It's all rusted." He pointed out, to which Kumiko hummed in agreement.

Afterward, Kayo turned on the heater by lighting it up. Kenya looked over to Satoru and Kumiko, "Don't make it obvious people are here." Kenya said to them, Satoru nodded, "Okay."

"Awesome."

"Wow."

They had finished setting up the bus for Kayo as they stood or sat down by the heater. Kumiko was next to Kenya of course, and Satoru was directly in front of the heater with Kayo being across from Kenya and Kumiko.

"This is a great hideout." Kenya smiled, looking to the group but more specifically, Kumiko. She gave him a small smile back, "Yeah. I wouldn't mind living here myself." She commented, holding his hand though hesitantly.

"Even though it doesn't have a bath." Satoru said, joining the conversation, Kenya replied, "Living in a big house won't guarantee happiness."

After a moment of silence, Kenya broke it as he said, "Even so, I have to go home. See you later, Kayo."

"I'm going home now too, but I'll be back later. I'll knock three times."

Kayo paused before softly smiling, "Thanks, you guys. I mean it."

"No need to thank us. We're friends, Kayo."

"I promise we'll protect you, Kayo."

"I'm glad you're safe now, Kayo."

And with that, the three children walked out.

On the walk, Kenya began to talk to Satoru as Kumiko walked in silence.

" We'll protect you, Kayo? Geez." Kenya teased lightly, although keeping his calming and nonchalant tone.

"I wanted to crawl in a hole, too." Satoru laughs slightly, "We're friends, Kayo. Sounded like you were gonna ask her out or something."

"You know I wouldn't do that to you. I have someone else I'd rather ask out." Kenya says briefly, "But we really are friends. I think "Hina" sounds good too. You can keep the special seat."

"Thanks."

"As I said, there's no need for thanks."

Kumiko was no longer listening to the conversation. Kenya wanted to ask someone out? She felt a quick pain in her chest, however, she ignored it. Of course, he didn't like her back. How could she be so stupid?

She missed the rest of the conversation, as she felt her head start to hurt slightly. Kumiko felt a bit mad at herself for even thinking that he may have liked her. It was just a stupid small crush anyway. It's not like she expected him to like her.

--------------------------------------------------------

AS SATORU SPLIT UP from Kenya and Kumiko, Kumiko decided that she had to ask Kenya who the someone was. The person he wanted to ask out.

"Kenya," Kumiko mentions, glancing at him. He looked right back at her to show he was paying attention, "Who's the 'someone else' you want to ask out?" She asked, trying not to make it too obvious that she liked him.

Kenya paused, "That? That person is," He froze once again, lowering his voice into a quieter tone. He hesitated, seemingly thinking about if he should tell her or not. Once he made up his mind, his answer was...

"The person is you."