𝗪𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆; 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻

DURING the night, loud footsteps are heard by Kayo who had been awoken because of them. She wonders, "Is that Satoru?" In a sleepy manner.

A stranger enters the bus, Kayo sits up, realizing that there's no way that's Satoru. She wraps herself in a blanket before the individual tosses a bag onto the ground. After a few seconds of silence, the stranger slams their foot onto a box. Kayo whimpers although covering her mouth so as to not be heard.

The floors creak as the individual moves out of the abandoned bus. Kayo looks out of a window, although not being able to see anyone. A sigh of relief leaves her mouth.

Who was that?

--------------------------------------------------------

KAYO WAS absent the next day. However, that was no shock to Kenya, Kumiko, Satoru, and Hiromi. Although, Kazu and Osamu weren't sure and were worried about Kayo.

"Maybe she's got a cold? I wonder what's up with Kayo." Kazu said, voicing his thoughts to Kenya.

"Yeah. Her mother hasn't contacted the school yet, which is strange." Kenya replied briefly. Kumiko listened from afar. It was a bit lonely without Kayo, even though they didn't talk.

------------------------------------------------------

Satoru had spoken to Mr. Yashiro, and found out he would be speaking with CPS and they'd be going over to Kayo's home later that day.

"Ms. Hinazuki!" One of the men called out, "We're with the Child Protective Services." They rang the doorbell once more.

"No one's coming." Another man said, looking at the door.

"Well all the lights are on, so someone should be home." The woman there commented, She looked at Mr. Yashiro.

"Shall we check around the back?"

Mr. Yashiro knocked on the back door, "Ms. Hinazuki! Are you home at the moment? Kayo?" No one answered.

Mr. Yashiro then said, "I'm coming in," as he opened the back door.

"Mr. Yashiro!" The woman said alertly.

"It's okay. I'll take responsibility." Mr. Yashiro said, continuing to walk into the home.

"The girl's been missing for three days. Let's trust him." The man said to the woman worker, who nodded.

Mr. Yashiro couldn't see anyone in the house, but the stove and lights were on. Kayo's coat wasn't there, "I think her mother was just here, she must've left in a hurry. I bet her mother escaped from the back right when we got here."

"Damn it. I wanted to at least take the daughter into custody."

"Let's try again tomorrow morning. As soon as we leave, I'm sure she'll return."

"Is the daughter all right?" The woman asks concernedly, "We could have the police look for the mother." She suggested, looking at Mr. Yashiro.

"No. I have a feeling Kayo is safe. In fact, I'm positive that she is."

"If you say so, Mr. Yashiro." The man said, nodding. "Let's leave for now to give the mother a chance to calm down."

Satoru was watching from behind a bush, wanting to inform Kayo.

------------------------------------------------------

THAT SAME NIGHT, Kumiko was relaxing in her home, reading a book she had borrowed from the library when suddenly she heard a knock on her door. She got up and opened the door to see... Kenya?

"Kenya? What are you doing here?" Kumiko asked, looking at him curiously.

"I need to talk to you about something." He said, a seriousness in his tone.

"Okay, come inside," Kumiko said, granting him permission to step into the house. She took his coat and carefully hung it on the coat rack next to the front door. She sat down on the couch next to him, "You sounded serious. Is everything okay?"

"Satoru and I were talking yesterday on the way back home after visiting Kayo," Kenya stated, Kumiko listened intently, "You had left early since you remembered you had to cook dinner, right?"

Kumiko nodded, not sure where he was going with this, "Well," Kenya continued, "Satoru wanted me to talk to you about how long you're home alone."

Kumiko sighed.

"Kenya, I really don't mind being alone." She explained bluntly.

"I know that but, Satoru and I worry about why you're alone for so long? What does your dad do?"

"To be honest, I don't really know." Kumiko shrugged, looking away. "He works really hard."

Kenya looked at her, "Okay but, Satoru also worries that being alone would put you in danger."

"What danger? Our town is pretty safe." Kumiko said with a raised eyebrow, "I'll be fine. Tell Satoru to stop worrying about me."

Kenya sighed, but smiled slightly at her reassurance. After a moment of silence, he blurts out,

"Mind if I hang out here for a bit?"

---------------------------------------------------------

"PEOPLE FROM child protective services were at your house," Satoru said, "Mr. Yashiro, too."

"Your mother wasn't home," Satoru informed, looking at Kayo.

Kenya looked over at Kumiko, remembering yesterday night. Stop worrying, huh? Kenya thought, continuing to stare at Kumiko. Over the past few weeks, he had enjoyed talking to her. She made him happy. The thought of her being in danger made him feel uneasy.

"I think this can be resolved tomorrow." Satoru finished, pulling Kenya out of his thoughts.

"Kayo. You'll be separated from your mother." Satoru informed her, wondering how she felt about that.

"Nothing would make me happier."

After a moment of silence, Kayo continues as she sensed the worry everyone felt, "I'll be fine. Whenever I think of you guys, I get a warm feeling inside."

"Satoru, this is late...but this is your birthday present."

Kayo pulled out a pair of hand-sewn mittens.

"Here."

Satoru gently took the mittens out of Kayo's hands, he slightly smiled as he held them tightly,

"Thank you, Kayo."