𝗔 𝗦𝘂𝗿𝗽𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗲; 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗘𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁

DISMISSAL
MARCH 2nd

THE BELL RINGS as Satoru was talking to his friends."You guys are still down for tonight?" He asks, smiling at his friends. They all nod, saying things like, "I love birthday cake!" and, "I can't wait!". Except for Kumiko, of course.

Kumiko didn't plan on going, she figured that it wouldn't matter. So, she left as the group continued to talk. The halls were almost empty with only a few students in them, Kumiko arrived at her locker. She changed her shoes, put on a coat, and walked outside of the school building. She didn't wait for Kenya this time and went straight to her house.

Meanwhile, in the classroom, Mr. Yashiro had asked Kayo and Satoru to help him move some boxes. Satoru complained but helped nonetheless.

The group of friends happened to notice Kumiko's absence, about to tell her that they were going to leave.

"Huh? Where'd she go?" Hiromi asked, looking at the empty seat where Kumiko was supposed to be.

"Do you think she already started walking to Satoru's house?" Osamu suggests, trying to be reasonable.

"Or, she could just be waiting at the front gate for Kenya." Kazu mentions, glancing at Kenya, "Well, we'll see which one of us is correct once we head outside."

The group nods as they hastily walk out of the school, Kumiko nowhere in sight.

"Maybe she did end up going to Satoru's house!" Osamu smiles, "Let's go meet her there!"

Nobody objected and they all began to walk to Satoru's house. When Satoru and Kayo got back into the classroom, nobody was there.

"They totally bailed on us."

-----------—-------------------------------------------

𝗦𝗔𝗞𝗔𝗜 𝗦𝗨𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗠𝗔𝗥𝗞𝗘𝗧

KAYO AND SATORU walked into the supermarket, buying things to make sandwiches. A bit too many supplies as the total came out to 5,000 yen, all of the money Satoru had.

Satoru suddenly had a realization, Wait a second, it cost exactly 5,000 yen eighteen years ago too. I remember I was in such high spirits because of my birthday so I spent all the money I had. Mom and I made a ton of sandwiches, but just the two of us ate them.

Satoru and Kayo stood in front of his house, Satoru's house. They held two bags with had tons of sandwich supplies in them. Satoru puts his hand on the doorknob, about to open it.

Satoru opened the door, "I'm back!" His friends were there and they popped confetti to which Satoru and Kayo gasped.

"One... two... and," One of them counted, then the others all said simultaneously, "Satoru! Kayo! Happy birthday!"

There was a banner with the words, 'happy birthday' on them along with colorful decorations. The atmosphere was amazing, you would be able to sense the happiness in that room.

"Y-you secretly made all this?" Satoru asked, looking at his friends and his mother.

"They said they wanted to do it themselves, so I gave them a hand." Ms. Fujinuma smiles, crossing her arms as she stood behind Osamu.

"Don't tell me... the after-school duty, too..." Satoru began, not finishing his sentence.

"Uh-huh. We asked Mr. Yashiro to stall you. He told us it was Kayo's birthday, too," Kenya gives a small smile, "I guess our little surprise worked a little, huh?"

"Yeah! I was surprised!" Satoru smiles, looking at the two birthday cakes on the table. One was for Kayo and the other was for Satoru.

"And Satoru insisted on getting two cakes," Ms. Fujinuma smiles at Kayo who had confetti in her hair.

Kayo looks down, a disappointed look on her face, "I'm sorry, Satoru," Kayo said, keeping her eyes on the ground, "I couldn't finish your present in time."

"Wait, were you making something for me?" Satoru asks, looking at Kayo who still seemed a bit upset with herself.

Kayo nods, her face slightly red from the cold.

So that's why she wanted to get home early. Satoru thought, keeping his eyes on Kayo.

"I almost had it done last night, but I fell asleep." Kayo frowns, rubbing her eyes. Her voice was filled with sadness.

"Don't worry about it," Satoru smiles at her, "You can give it to me later!" He takes a piece of confetti out of her hair as she looks back at him.

"Before I show you all what I got, where's Kumiko?" Satoru asks, looking around.

"Well, we thought she might be here but I guess something came up." Osamu chimes in, looking at Satoru.

"Oh, alright," Satoru said with disappointment, not wanting to ruin the mood, he puts the bags on the table, "All right, everyone! Let's make sandwiches with 5,000 yen worth of ingredients!"

The friends all cheer with excitement, Ms. Fujinuma gasps, "What!? You spent all the money?!"

It was a lot of fun making sandwiches together. Unlike eighteen years ago, we finished them all in one day. It's fun having friends. Kayo and I got a ton of presents from everyone. And then...

"That's from me!" Satoru grins, handing Kayo a gift bag.

Kayo opens the gift and a pair of pink mittens are revealed. Kayo widens her eyes slightly, her mouth was slightly open. She then smiles, tears of happiness in her eyes.

"Thank you, Satoru," Kayo said with a smile, "Everyone, thank you."