Chapter 5: Deepwood Shrine

Link looked up at the large stone structure

Link looked up at the large stone structure. It was a simple stone brick with slanted sides, and moss growing on and around it. He probably walked right passed it on his way here, and didn't even see it, but now he could see all the little carvings and details the Picori put into it. It was clear the Picori took great care of this shrine.

"So this is would be the Deepwood Shrine," Ezlo said, staring in wonder at the temple.

"Yeah," Link nodded. "And considering it's so small, I have a feeling those monsters that settled in are going to be huge!"

"He-hey now!" Ezlo chuckled nervously. "No reason to be afraid or anything... I'll be waiting right here." He jumped down from Link's head, keeping an eye on the shrine.

"You really want to be left alone out here?" Link asked.

"Yes!" Ezlo answered. Then he actually thought about it. "No, wait!"

Link put Ezlo back on his head.

"Just, be careful," Ezlo muttered. "And don't move around so much."

Link gripped his sword and shield, entered the temple... and immediately stood corrected. The Picori took great care of the outside of the shrine, the inside was in complete ruins.

It might have been due to the monsters though, but still. Webs covered the ceilings, and walls were smashed in, and the tiles in the ground were almost all cracked or chipped. Pillars lay in pieces on the ground, roots grow under the Shrine and up through the floor. This place was old... really old.

And then he entered the next room.

Link stepped through a broken wall and stopped dead at the large barrel that was sitting broken in the middle of the room. It had smashed through the ceiling, but judging by the moss covering it, this had happened years ago. The way Link saw it, the Picori regarded the Shrine as a sacred place, but as it was only used to speak with the Royal Family, it hadn't been used in many years. They took care of the outside of the temple, but there respect and reverence for the temple had let the inside fall into decay.

Maybe it wasn't the monsters that did this, Link thought, stepping closer to the barrel. "Look at the size of that!"

"It's not that big," Ezlo reminded him. "We're just small, remember?"

"... Right," Link mumbled. "I forgot for a second."

The barrel was blocking their way, but luckily the wooden planks were broken just enough for them to squeeze through. As they stepped inside though, it shook.

"What was that?" Link asked. "Is the barrel moving?"

"Sounded like something above us!" Ezlo answered.