Chapter 17: The Light Force

Link slipped his tunic over the bandages

Link slipped his tunic over the bandages. The Wind Tribe had done all they could to heal his wounds, but his movements felt constrained now. Still, it meant he'd live. "Thank you," he said, picking up his sheath.

"Take it slow," the tribe doctor warned. "Our magics and potions will work, but only if you rest for a while."

"I'm sorry," Link huffed, slinging his gear over his shoulder. "I don't have time to rest. I need to get this element to the sanctuary."

"Of course," the tribe doctor agreed. "But no unnecessary fighting, walk instead of run, and rest every chance you get, or even if you just feel tired!"

"I will," Link promised.

"Good luck," the doctor said, stepping aside for Link to pass.

Link stopped in the doorway. "Hey, how do I get down from here?"

"The same way you got up," the doctor smiled. "The winds will carry you down safely."

"Thanks," Link waved.

He walked through the quiet halls of the Wind Tribe's castle, forcing himself to move slowly. He wanted to pick up his feet and run, get down and back to Hyrule as soon as possible, but thinking about it just made it worse. It felt like ages before he finally made it out of the castle, and then he was faced with the long stairs.

Every step felt like he was getting heavier and heavier. Going up them before had been the opposite, like he was lighter, but he'd since gotten used to that. Now it felt like someone was piling rocks on top of him, grabbing at his legs. He felt sluggish.

"I feel like I'm going to sink right through those clouds," Link muttered, standing at the bottom step.

"I thought it was just me who felt like I put on a few pounds," Ezlo agreed. "But it should be fine! This castle weighs more than us, and it floats up here! We'll be fine... right?"

Link took a step onto the cloud, and was relieved to find he could walk on them just fine. Forcing his legs to move, he made his way through the clouds that wisped around him. Finally he found the place where he'd arrived; a small break in the clouds that looked down at the mountains far below.

He'd thought Hyrule looked small from the peak of Mt. Crenel... but up here... He could see all the waters that surrounded Hyrule, making it look like an island. He could see things he hadn't been able to see before, like the mountains to the far south, and a strange marble-like structure behind Mt. Crenel. In fact, everything was so small and far away, he wasn't sure where he'd land.

"Well," Link sighed, trying not to think about it. "I survived a fall like that before." He held Ezlo on his head, and jumped.

The winds grabbed him before he could fall more than a foot. They swirled around him, carrying him down safely, just as the doctor had said.