Chapter 15: An Ancient Seal

Link opened the seal to the tomb of the old King

Link opened the seal to the tomb of the old King. Through it was a long staircase leading down, and through that an empty chamber with faded murals painted on the walls. It looked like they told the story of the King that was buried here, and the story of the King before that, but not much else.

How long ago was the first King? Link wondered. Has Hyrule always been around? Or, is its history really this short?

He continued through, opening a door on the other side marked with the Royal Symbol; the Triforce. Link wondered if that had meant something once as well, or if it was just some marker.

On the other side of the door was a chamber that appeared similar to the Elemental Sanctuary's sword altar, but only half of it. In the sanctuary, there was a large raised platform in the center, with statues in each corner. Here, it was the same, but a wall ran halfway through it, and instead of there being a sword pedestal, there was a massive gravestone with the Royal Symbol carved into it as well.

Link stood in front of it, and like smoke rising from the ashes of the buried corpse, the old King appeared.

"... ... O young one," the King said. "Child who seeks to rescue my descendant, Zelda... Welcome... My name is Gustaf. I was King of Hyrule countless ages ago... I grant you this Kinstone... Seek the source of the flow in Hyrule... Only then will your path open..."

That was all the old spirit had the strength for. Another moment and King Gustaf faded, and at his feet a slot opened up in the gravestone. It slid out a stone plate, and sitting on it was half of a golden Kinstone. There was a picture of a crown on one side, and the Triforce on the other. It was also about the size of a rupee, so it fit in his pocket.

Then from beyond the grave, King Gustaf spoke his final words. "Save Zelda... All of Hyrule is counting on you..."

"Hmm... Fascinating!" Ezlo mused. "And strange... And the source of the flow? What do you suppose that could mean?"

Link's first thought was Lake Hylia, but there were a lot of rivers in Hyrule, it could be literally anywhere. "I don't know," he admitted. "But we should get out of here."

___

"Source of the flow in Hyrule," Swiftblade murmured. "I think it's obvious that it refers to water."

"Of course," Link agreed. "I was thinking Lake Hylia-"

"The great lake would be too obvious, but also wrong." Swiftblade told him. "The source of the great lake is simply the ocean. It is a fool's quest to search an entire ocean. No, it would be something only the King himself had knowledge of."

"Well we can't ask him," Link sighed. "If he's under Vaati's control..."

Swiftblade nodded. "Then we can only work off of rumors. According to legend, there is a place high in the mountains east of Hyrule where the castle receives fresh and clean water. It is why the Royal Family and the knights have such strong health, this magic water from the east mountains. There are many waterfalls there, but no one's ever made it to the top."