Chapter 7: Welcome Back

The sun rose behind them as they entered the forests of the island

The sun rose behind them as they entered the forests of the island. The Yoshi clan had said goodbye to their beach home, and took baby Mario and the princess on their backs. The Stork traveled beside them as Mario pointed towards his brother once more. This time however, there was more at stake than just his twin, or even the whole of Yoshi's Island. There were hundreds of thousands of children that had been ripped away from their homes, and it was up to the Yoshies, the two children, and the Stork to rescue them.

Of course, their journey would not be an easy one.

Though they may have defeated the Koopa army the last time they were here, other monsters have become restless. They hadn't caused trouble yet, but that was only because Yoshies knew to stay out of enemy territory. To save the missing children they would have to trek through dangerous land.

Even moving silently, it wasn't long until their path was blocked.

Ukikis hung from the trees above them, climbing down branches to block their way. The tiny monkeys weren't necessarily harmful, but they were known for playing tricks. When the Yoshies tried to push passed, the Ukikis grabbed at them, pulling them back. The Ukikis laughed, tugging at the Yoshies tails, and one even took Mario's hat.

Mario reached to grab his hat back, but the Monkey jumped away. And that wasn't the only thing they took; the young princess had also been stolen! The Ukikis swung back up the trees, running away, their laughter fading into the sounds of the leaves rustling.

Mario jumped off Yoshi's back, taking his first steps before falling on his face in the dirt. He crawled for another moment before Yoshi picked him back up. The Yoshi sat Mario back on his shell then motioned for the other Yoshies to follow as they continued through the forest. They changed their direction however, now following the princess and the Ukikis.

The monkey laughter was easy enough to track, luckily, but they were too high for the Yoshies to get to. The Stork tried flying, but with the trees so close together, and his wing still on the mend, he couldn't get more than a few feet off the ground.

They were stumped, staring up at the branches high above them, unable to do anything. And that was when they heard the chittering coming from beside them.

Another monkey sat beside the group of Yoshies, watching the Ukikis. Judging by the white cloth sack he'd wrapped himself with, and how young he was, it was clear it was another child the Koopas had kidnapped. It was also clear he was not of the Ukiki species, and instead was more Ape like.

Mario mumbled at the ape, pointing at the Ukikis.

The Ape looked up at him, then back to the monkeys. He jumped up his tree, swinging from vine to vine until he was sitting with the monkeys. They regarded him for a moment, but didn't seem to care. At least, not until he grabbed the Human from them.