Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Clarence

            “This book is amazing,” Corin comments, shutting the book and examining its cover.

            After meeting Halliope and Gus, we went back to my cabin to fetch the book that will help Corin in his homework. Fortunately, when we got to the forest, Corin was hooked reading that book – much like me when I first read it. I cannot forget the fascination in his eyes when they skim through the contents of each book. We stayed in the woods for a few minutes as he read the first few pages and I watched him.

            “I know right,” I say, “It helped me a lot during my early days. I didn’t know about the demigod world when I first read that. I thought they were just myths and stuff, but they felt so real.” Little by little, maybe I can reveal a few bits of my past. What’s the harm in that?

            Corin is leaning on his back on the trunk of a tree. On the other hand, I sit cross-legged in front of him. “Do you have anything to ask?” I inquire. Me answering any of his questions is part of our schedule after all.

            “This isn’t about the basics,” I nod for him to continue, “But why does it have to be me who brings back the natural light of the moon?”

            Not easy, not hard either though, how do I put this?

            Corin’s green eyes gaze at me, waiting for an answer. You promised him, Clarence, now fulfill it. “Long ago, the Romans gave the title of the moon goddess and sun god to Artemis, my mother, and Apollo because they had too many gods to worship and too many temples to build. Your mother, Selene and your uncle, Helios lost their titles and their rights in their domains. Artemis got the power over the moon and Apollo got the sun and Helios’ chariot. Selene and Helios were forced to find other places to stay in.”

            “Until now, Selene has no absolute power over the moon; therefore, she can’t do anything to reclaim her title – except for one thing. Selene gave birth to you. I don’t know any law that states she can’t give birth to a child but it hasn’t happened before. Selene may not have the right to reclaim the moon, however, maybe you can. Artemis doesn’t even care. As you know, they’re working together to have you fulfill the prophecy.”

            He looked livid. Uh oh, it’s my entire fault.

            “What? So she used me as a tool to get her title back?”

            “No, wait! There’s more.” I don’t want him to make the mistake of hating his mom just like I did before. “Remember this morning when I woke up because of a nightmare? It’s because I dreamed of Selene and Helios…and you. I had a vision of the past. Don’t worry, sometimes demigods have that. So, I encountered in that dream Selene holding you when you were a baby and then Helios appeared and talked to her. They had an argument about you. Helios said that Selene should send you to earth to prevent Zeus from hurting you so that you can do your duty. Selene said that you weren’t a tool and she wasn’t even expecting you. You have to believe me, Corin: they care about you.”

            “Whatever,” he mutters. Sooner or later, I would get that into his head.

            “Listen,” I take his hand in mine, “I had committed a few mistakes in the past.” Alright, I lied. I’ve committed tons of mistakes. “And one of them is thinking my mother doesn’t care for me because I wasn’t meant to be born and I’m a shame to her title as a maiden. I didn’t realize she sacrificed a lot for me. I don’t want you to do the same. Selene loves you but she’s just showing it in her own way.”