Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Alex

            I think I'm the only one around here who thinks that this situation is really ironic. There's Vade, his enemy Scarlet and Aven in one car, riding in silence. I'm fully aware of it, Calvin knows but doesn't care and Liam is completely clueless about it.

            I fidget nervously in my seat. Calvin's still busy with his game and Liam's concentrated on the road. I almost jump in my seat when my phone rings.

            I pull it out of my pocket and read the message.

            What's that thing you wanted to tell me?

            I look at my brother beside me. He's still staring at his own phone.

            Me: Do you really want to tell you now? With HIM in the car?

            I hear Calvin scoff. I just clutch my phone tighter.

            Calvin: So? Does it really matter?

            I keep myself from screaming. Is he for real? He doesn't understand the awkwardness in the air. What would he feel like if Liam suddenly talks about his admiration for Aven?

            Me: OF COURSE IT MATTERS, YOU IDIOT! What if he finds out what we're talking about? U know he doesn't know anything.

            Calvin: Chill, Alex. It's okay.

            Me: No, it's not! Finals are coming and the pressure is on me. What if he beats me?

            Calvin: Don't think about him, then.

            I roll my eyes and put away my phone. I'm still mad at him for letting Liam take us. He's being arrogant again, being Aven and all.

            I look up in curiosity when Liam's phone rings. I sneak a glance at Calvin. He's back to gaming again.

            "Hey," Liam puts the phone to his ear, "Did you find the IP address?"

            He nods while listening to the caller, "Are you sure it's the right one? I gave you all the information about her, didn't I?" I freeze in my seat. Who is this 'her' he's talking about?

            "Hmmm, okay," he says, "Give me the house address and I'll head there, soon."

            He listens again and I see him suddenly frown through the mirror, "No, dude, I got the idea first. I'm tracking her down."

            He puts down the phone, presses a button and puts it back in his pocket. I turn my head towards my brother and see that he's staring at me. I stare back at him with wide eyes. I know we both know what he means. The IP address.....he's talking about the videogame. And the 'she' will mean either two characters: Aven or Scarlet.

            My heart pounds in my ribcage. He will track 'her' down? Has Calvin not thought about this? Wouldn't he be ready for this? The IP address would lead him to the location of the gamer.

            The car halts into a stop. "We're here. Is this your house?" Liam is looking at me. I nod mutely and mumble a little 'thanks'. I hop out of the car as I hear Calvin repeat my 'thanks'. Liam drives off, grinning at me.

            I immediately grab my brother's shoulders and shake him vigorously, "Did you hear that? Tell me you heard him!"

            He pulls away with a look of annoyance in his face. "Relax," he grabs both my hands, "He won't find out."