Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Clarence

            The first thing that comes into my mind when I see them is: Shoot, they're going to kill me. But judging by the troubled look on their faces, I think they came here for another reason. I look at Corin, who is as confused as I am.

            My mother looks the same, except for the dirt marks on her arms and dress. She must have been with her hunters before she headed here. She has the same long dark brown hair, beautiful blue eyes and cobalt dress. She clutches her bow in her hand and her quiver is slung on her back. Selene is like my mother, but for me, the cold gaze she has is the best feature to tell them apart. My mother's not soft though. She's commanding and authoritative while Selene is strict and rigid.

            "What are you both doing here?" I ask them. They look at each other first, as if having a silent conversation.

            Selene eyes her son's bandages, "I see you've been taking care of Corin."

            I immediately glare at her, "In case you don't remember, my lady, you sent Corin to the Underworld and left him with hellhounds." I feel Corin place a hand on my shoulder.

            She just shrugs, "It was needed — to let him learn."

            "Excuse me, but if you don't notice, I'm already training him — "

            Artemis puts up a hand to silence me. "I'm afraid I have to agree with Selene. Corin cannot simply learn from training. He needs experience. You should know, Clarence. You fought three phoenixes after all."

            I restrain myself to ask her if she sent those phoenixes too.

            "But I'm doing fine," I cross my arms, "Corin's doing everything well. We'll just need to practice his powers. If not for the little delay, then we would've started them by now."

            "We completely trust your training for Corin," Artemis says, "And he wouldn't have gone this far without you. But we have to cut short your training."

            "Clarence is doing fine," Corin says in a clipped tone. "We're not stopping training."

            "It's for a completely different matter," Selene interrupts, her voice as harsh as Corin's.

            "Corin has to go," Artemis continues, "Right now."

            "Why?" I exclaim.

            Selene's lip curls, "The date of the fulfillment might have been earlier than expected."

            "So I have to go now?" Corin looks like he's trying to hide his shock but he obviously fails.

            They can't take him away now — he's not fully ready. I interject, "He can't go now. He doesn't know a thing about his powers!"

            His mother looks annoyed, "Then we'll settle for whatever he can do. I'm sure his powers will reach out to him."

            I look at the both of them angrily. Where is the woman who rocked the baby in her arms? Where is the goddess who rejected her brother's suggestions to send Corin away? The woman in front of me is cold and indifferent.

            "Are you crazy?" I yell, "His powers are important in fulfilling the prophecy! Without it, he might not make it!"

            "Well, it's too late now," Selene snaps, "We have to do this now, with or without his powers!"