6 - devious plans of hiding skateboards

''Natalie, did you see all that?'' Mike asked excitedly.

''Most of it,'' I replied, smiling. ''until you three disappeared from our eyes.''

Charlie had kept his eyes on me, but looked away when I turned to him. A beautiful sunset was starting to cover the clouds. The sky was turning orange

''Do you want to look at the car now or another time?'' I asked him.

''We can do it now,'' Charlie replied. ''we'll catch up with you guys later.''

''You three were really good,'' I said, turning around, as we began walking away. ''I mean it... even though I've never stepped on a skateboard myself.''

''We'll have you try sometimes!'' Sarah yelled back.

The three kids continued to skate around the street as we left for the garage. Charlie had turned on my car and was already inspecting every detail. However, he wasn't so sure this time what the problem was.

''I think I'll have a longer look some other day... as long as you don't mind riding with us to school like this,'' Charlie said, clenching his teeth and giving a hopeful smile.

I chuckled, shaking my head.

''I liked it,''

''Good... uhh, I really enjoyed it too,''

Soon, the Baker family and I were sat at the dinner table. It seemed that Mrs. Baker had said something to the kids, especially the younger ones, about behaving well, as it was much quieter than before. Although, most eyes were on me, especially Nigel and Kyle.

''Natalie, what do you do outside of school?" Mrs. Baker asked.

''Oh, well, I tutor kids,'' I replied simply. ''English. It's kind of what I do best.''

''Charlie and Natalie actually had a chemistry experiment today and it went pretty well,'' Lorraine added, smiling proudly.

''Yeah,'' Charlie continued. ''chemistry is not my thing, and not Natalie's too, but this time we nailed it.''

''Very nice,'' Mrs. Baker nodded, continuing to eat. ''and is English something you'd like to do later on in life?''

My eyes widened and I tilted my head.

''I'm not so sure... it's not the best-paying sphere, but then again it's important to do what I like,''

''I agree,'' Mr. Baker replied. ''you gotta do what makes you happy!''

I smiled and agreed.

''Are you tutoring Charlie here too?'' Mr. Baker joked, starting to laugh.

''Ha-ha, dad,'' Charlie replied sarcastically.

''I might have to help him with an essay or two in the future... since he's being so helpful with the car,'' I replied, looking at him briefly.

Mrs. Baker nodded, smiling teasingly.

''Oh, Natalie-'' she began. ''our eldest, Nora, is coming tomorrow for dinner with her boyfriend, and, well, since you and Charlie have been hanging out a lot then would you like to join us?''

''I wouldn't want to impose on a family dinner,'' I instantly replied, looking down.

''No! We don't like him anyway!'' Mike yelled.

Mrs. Baker shot him a look.

''No, really, we'd love for you to come,'' she said, smiling at me.

''Is everyone cool with that?'' I asked, looking around at the table.

I was met with several thumbs up, enthusiastic smiles, Nigel and Kyle having mouthfuls of spaghetti, and nods.