20 - oh, i see how it is

Charlie and I woke up with the sound of Mr. and Mrs. Baker outside of our tents. We heard Mr. Baker clear his throat and call out before ducking down by our tent.

I rubbed my eyes and moved the blanket across my face.

''Morning dad,'' Charlie replied, his voice still husky.

''Good to hear!'' he said. ''I- the others slept in the house apparently.''

''Hmmm,''

I smiled slightly, seeing Charlie's tired look as well. Although the sleep had been nice, it was abrupt and we needed a couple more hours. However, soon, we heard another voice.

''That's Murtaugh,'' Charlie barely whispered in my ear.

''Let's stay here or it'll be a bad first meeting for me,'' I replied and smiled.

As I could hear, we had been invited to their place later during the day. Having eaten breakfast and listened to Mr. Baker complain about Murtaugh, we got ready for the event.

''What are you going to wear?'' I asked Lorraine, peeking inside her room.

''Oh, a skirt. It's so warm outside, don't you think?'' she answered and I nodded.

''Yeah... ahh, I'll put on shorts and-''

''A skirt would be better, Nat. They're fancy people, like it or not,''

I grunted in response and took out a tennis skirt from my backpack. I tried to wipe away the crinkles but was unsuccessful. I made my way to Nora and Bud's room and knocked on the door.

''Come in!'' Nora's voice said. ''Nat!''

''Uh, I'm in distress 'cause my skirt's wrinkled. Do you know how to get them out before we go?''

''Yeah, of course! I'll go take a shower soon and just hang them nearby the shower. It should wrinkle it out. I did it all the time in high school,'' she explained and I smiled.

I nodded and smiled, almost turning to walk through the door.

''Hey, are you nervous?'' Nora asked.

''A bit... I heard that they're fancy people and that even if there's kids and people our age they're... cool,''

''Well, Murtaugh definitely has his leashes on those guys but they should be fine to us. I mean, they've been hanging out with them all the time. I'd say that one of them, Elliot, even has a crush on Sarah,'' Nora explained and I laughed.

''I think I've noticed that too,''

''You've got nothing to worry about,'' Nora smiled. ''I'll give you the skirt when I'm done!''

Lorraine and I did our makeup together although I skipped the colorful eyeshadow not to feel too out of my skin. Soon, Nora came back with the skirt looking perfect.