Chapter XII

Chapter XII

The wind seemed to carry an air of melancholy, bringing with it the sound of solitude and loneliness. The air mimicking that of grievance; the loss of a loved one. The breeze carried with it the painful notes of a requiem.

The forest was quiet, not even the wildlife daring to make noise. It was as if the whole world seemed to stop and stare in both awe and empathy as a boy played the violin with such elegance that nothing else seemed to matter anymore.

He used the bow of his violin, carefully and elegantly playing the notes of what seemed to be a sad and lonely tune. A tune of solitude and isolation.

His eyes were closed shut, his whole being entranced in the piece he was playing. His body moved with the flow, moving like the wind on a calm and serene day. His eyes were forced shut looking like he experiencing a nightmare; like reliving a faint memory.

He didn't play the piece for himself, but for a loved one that has long since passed.

His fingers twiddled with the strings, expertly applying pressure in one part then releasing it in the other, producing a soft and mellow tune and giving the forest a serene and lonely feel. 

His playing started to speed up, his attitude shifting as the piece started to near its climax. He played the violin with such elegance that it was unlike him. And with a heavy breath and one final note, the requiem was done. 

The boy sighed, finally opening his previously shut eyes, his turquoise eyes looking around at the silent night. The cliff he was standing on seemed to howl in empathy, seeming to resonate with the boy.

His hands started to quiver, the bow of the violin shaking in his grasp. Slowly, he bent down onto a knee, setting the violin down and carefully placing it inside the violin case, his hands oh so tentative; careful not to damage any single part of the instrument.

His movements were slow and calculated, like the instrument was made out of glass, ready to break at a moment's notice.

He carefully tucked away the instrument, placing the bow of the violin at its designated spot. And with a heavy sigh, he pried his eyes away from the instrument and closed the case. 

He was a musician with no audience. No applause. No anything. Just a boy, with a song, for a loved one.

For a brief moment he looked behind him, contemplating whether to join the festivities. It was the night that they won the war with Nyx. Everyone was celebrating; everyone except for the one that ended it all with one arrow.

All around him were forests brimming with life and plants. The wildlife was asleep, entranced in their peaceful slumber. The nocturnal animals were wide awake, ready to start their night. In front of the cliff face was the ocean, bringing with it the scent of salt, calming the boy quite a bit. It was quite a sight to behold.

He could hear the air of festivities near his right. The campers and gods were celebrating their victory. It was one of the hardest wars yet. Nyx had ambitious plans. If not for his help, they would've for sure been defeated.

Yet, he didn't feel like he won.

He still felt empty.

It has, after all, only been a few weeks since she died.

Even though he had a bit of closure. It would take some time until he heals completely.

He could hear the overlapping of the waves, the occasional hoots of the owls, and the merriment of everyone. All he could do was chuckle in sadness, sitting atop the cliff face and overlooking the cold dark ocean.