By the Sea

Elena and Bonnie were out having lunch during Elena's break and Elena noticed that Bonnie seemed distracted. Elena waved her hands at Bonnie. "Hello! Earth to Bonnie!" Bonnie snapped out of her trance like state and moved the drink she had been mindlessly sipping away from her mouth. "Sorry?" She said to an amused Elena. "You were really zoned out just now. It's kind of been happening a lot lately. Are you okay?" "Yeah I'm fine. Hey if you're not too busy later, do you wanna go to the quarry?" "Again? You've been going there a lot lately." Bonnie shrugged. "It's calming." Elena frowned thoughtfully. "I have some things I need to catch up on, but maybe me, you, Stefan and Damon could all have an early dinner together before I have to dive back into work?" Bonnie gave her a small smile. "Sounds good to me."

The following day Stefan, Elena, Bonnie and Damon all ate at the Mystic Grill and played a little pool before heading down to the quarry. Stefan and Elena trailed behind Damon and Bonnie a bit once they reached the woods so Elena could quietly confide something to Stefan. "Have you noticed how different Bonnie's been acting lately?" "You mean since the incident at the Bermuda Triangle?" Elena nods and Stefan takes in a deep, thoughtful breath. "She has seemed a little off." "Has Damon said anything to you about what happened there?" "Not really. He just seems to want to enjoy the bit of quiet time we have before the next bad guy inevitably shows up." Elena looked ahead at Bonnie who was laughing as Damon held her hand up above her head and twirled her while they walked. "I guess that makes sense. We nearly lost her again and this time could've ended up being permanent." Stefan grabbed Elena's hand to make her look at him. When she did, he flashed her a smile and brought her hand to his lips to give the back of it a small kiss. "I say we take a cue from Damon just this once and enjoy the moment. Our friends are safe, we're safe and the bad guys are gone." Elena sighed contently and pulled Stefan's arm around her. "For now anyway." She giggled as Stefan fully embraced her from behind and kissed her temple. "Forever if I have anything to say about it."

Bonnie quickly stripped out of her regular clothes to reveal her bathing suit underneath and dived into the cool waters of the quarry

Bonnie quickly stripped out of her regular clothes to reveal her bathing suit underneath and dived into the cool waters of the quarry. Elena followed suit and they laughed like children and splashed each other while Damon and Stefan watched from the ground. Damon smirked and shook his head at their antics when Stefan said, "Bonnie seems different since you guys have been back." Damon raised a brow at him. "What do you mean?" "Well she's really been enjoying the water lately and at the grill, she practically inhaled the sea bass she ordered." Damon shrugged. "She has a healthy appetite." "Come on Damon, you never told us what happened. How exactly did you get free from the siren?" The corner of Damon's mouth twitched while he continued to watch Bonnie and Elena have fun. "The siren got ahold of Bonnie and smashed my head in before throwing me from the cave. Time passes differently on the island so I have no idea how long it took my body to heal, but as soon as I woke up, I headed back into the cave to get Bonnie." Damon's eyebrows pulled together as he thought back on the ordeal. "I vamped back to the water where she and the siren had been and I couldn't see either of them or.... hear Bonnie's heartbeat." He looked to Stefan. "And just when I started thinking the worst, Bonnie was suddenly standing there beside me just.... staring at me." Stefan looked from Damon to Bonnie. "Where was the siren?" "I asked Bonnie and she just stared at the water. I figured she was in shock so I just focused on getting us the hell out of there." "Without the siren's help?" "Surprisingly. Bonnie still hasn't told me how she defeated the siren, but I don't really care," Stefan gave him a look to which Damon responded, "I'm happy brother. For the first time in a long time, I am genuinely happy." He looked back out at Bonnie with an expression of utter content. "And I'm not willing to give that up." Stefan patted him on the shoulder and watched Elena swing from a rope before diving back into the water with Bonnie.