▪︎ 17 ▪︎

I watch the large TV on the wall as I clean the counter. Beca's favorite football team, Kansas Chiefs, are playing against the Las Vegas Raiders and they're killing it. They're now in the third quarter and the Chiefs are having 27 points already against 14 from the Raiders. Beca would cheer so loud right now, because this can't go wrong anymore for the Chiefs, right?

I sigh and look over to the almost empty restaurant. An elderly couple is sitting in the corner, enjoying a nice meal, two young kids and their parents are eating while watching the game, and close to the entrance, there's a girl with brown long hair and a guy with short black hair. The girl looks pretty and when she looks at me, she just gives me a friendly smile. She looks back to the guy who smiles at her while eating from his fries.

Suddenly my eyes are glued to the parking lot. Oh no, not again! Wyatt and some of his friends get out of his car and he walks over to the entrance. I put down the dishcloth and quickly hide in the back, which gives me a weird look from Mrs. Fuller.

,,Are you okay, dear?" She asks me while hiding me from the restaurant.

,,Not really. Wyatt is back with his friends." I say and peak into the restaurant.

,,This can't go on anymore, Chloe." Mrs. Fuller says firmly.

,,I know but what can I do? They hate me for cheating on Beca."

,,Did you really cheat? I mean, from what you've told me, you were pretty drunk that night."

,,I still had sex with Chicago that night in the girl's bathroom. My little sister caught us."

,,Tell me more about when you met Beca."

,,Well, I met her eleven years ago, when I was sixteen. She was so sweet and shy. I think I developed a crush on her in that same year and it only became stronger. We were assigned for a science project and spent a lot of time together from that moment on. We had little moments, hugging, cuddling, movie nights, and small kisses on our cheeks but never a real kiss until Christmas in my senior year."

,,So, after two years of being close, there was a real kiss?" Mrs. Fuller asks me and I just nod. ,,What took you so long?"

,,It wasn't me who took the initiative. Beca kissed me when she brought me home in her father's car. She just got her license because she was sixteen."

,,And then what happened?"

,,Well..." My mind shuts off and brings me right into the memory.

Flashback

It's finally December and my favorite time of the year is approaching. I've always loved Christmas, it's just so amazing and magical. Every year I spend it with my family and we follow through with our yearly tradition. Even Noah is coming from uni. Noah promised me that we could set up the tree together this year, while Nina and Zoey will do the decorations.

We don't plan to do it today, because we always set everything up twelve days before Christmas, which is still twenty days away. I smile at the thought of all our traditions. Christmas cookies, gingerbread houses, decorating the tree, buying presents... But the tradition I cherish most is that our whole family will be together. Noah, Nina, Zoey, and my parents in one house, no exceptions! Gwen will probably come too because Noah and she just started dating a year ago.

I'm dreading the possible time that my family will drift apart. I want to be close with them forever. I can't imagine even going a week without talking to any of them. It would break my heart if anything like that ever happened.

This year I want to be the same as always, spend with my family, but I also want to spend more time with Beca. Last year Beca and I separated and we were enjoying Christmas with our own families without seeing each other, but I missed her. It didn't make any sense at that time because we knew each other for a couple of months, but I did miss her which means that she meant more to me than I thought. And maybe that small crush I had on her, didn't help.