Chapter 18 - To War

Kayleth's POV

After a few seconds, I pull away. He stares at me, shocked. Maybe he doesn't like me back? Maybe... Maybe he likes someone else? I turn away and walk out of the room, closing the door behind me. I can hear him shuffling after me.

"Kayleth! Hey, wait up!" He grabs my wrist and spins me around. "Why'd you run off like that?"

"I... I didn't think you liked me back..." I start crying, wiping my face with my free hand. How could I be so stupid. Of course he doesn't like me like that. We're just... Best friends, aren't we? "And now I feel so stupid for kissing you and-"

This time he kisses me. I'm so shocked I just stand there like and idiot. He stops and looks at me. "Kayleth..." He blushes a bit. "I... I do like you..."

"Me t-"

I don't get to finish my sentence as another explosion rocks the house. Shouts and screams of pain echo through the halls. They're here again. Do we ever get a moment of peace?

Sam suddenly appears around the corner. "I'm helping this time and there nothing you can do about it!" She shouts over the noise. She has a small army of broken bed posts and antique vases behind. "Thought I'd use these as weapons. Can let them go to waste, can we?"

That's the Sam we know.

As we all start to run through the building, something I didn't expect to see stops us. Elmondez stands there with his gun, pointing it directly at my head.

"Don't. Move." Daniel hisses through his teeth.

"Well, well, well." Dr. Trenzed walks into view. "Got you this time, didn't I?" I hear Sam growl lowly at the woman. I can see why they hate each other.

"What the hell do you want with us anymore?" Sam asks. If the glare Sam was giving could kill, Dr. Trenzed would be long dead. "Why can't you just leave us alone?" She tries to take a step forward but freezes when the captain cocks the gun he's holding. I give her a worried glance. One wrong move and my brains would be all over the walls. No joke.

She slowly moved her hands up, as if to surrender. But Dr. Trenzed wasn't fazed. She noticed the way Sam prepared to flick her wrist and pointed her own gun at Daniel. Crap. This put Sam off, I could tell. Fear for the both of us ran through me in waves, the force almost knocking me over.

"Sam..." I warn her. This is not  going in our direction right now. We need to be careful.

Dr. Trenzed's attention was focused on Sam, so much that Daniel had a chance to shuffle his way over to me; slowly but surely. I glance at him every once in a while, but I was focused to Elmondez. He was debating on whether to keep and eye on me or do something about the glare-off between the Dr and Sam. I take this opportunity to meet Daniel halfway.

"Empathy."  He hisses at me. Say what?

......

Oh yeah... Duh.

I stare at Elmondez. Please look this way. Please, please, PLEASE!

I'm not too sure if he heard me or not, but he still glances at me. Luckily it's long enough for me to grasp onto his feelings. With a tiny flick of my wrist, I send fear and confusion towards him like a rocket. Within a few seconds, he drops his gun to the floor and cries out loud. Trenzed glares at him and, once noticing what's happened, pulls the trigger.

It was the last thing I remembered.