12: Summer

-it's something I can't describe, something about the atmosphere, the feeling I get just looking out my window.

❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀

The sun was setting; its soft yellow light was being peacefully squashed beneath the horizon before splashing across the sky in violent shades of red and orange. Splayed lazily out on the green grass below, I felt more relaxed than I had in months.

I sighed. Here I didn't have to worry about anyone or anything.

I'd barely completed the thought when my serenity was completely disrupted by a loud, obnoxious voice that called across the field, "Hey! Bree!"

I groaned. I hadn't yet determined if discovering Sirius and I both lived on Grimmauld Place was a blessing or a persistent, snarky misfortune; after finding out we were neighbors, Sirius insisted on meeting up everyday, which was a drastic change from my typical summers spent alone.

I usually enjoyed his company, but Sirius continually struggled to grasp the concept of unwinding.

Reluctantly, I twisted my head towards the tall, lanky shape sprinting my direction.

He plopped down onto the grass next to me, flashing a grin that would knock the consciousness from half the Hogwarts girls in one fell swoop. I just smiled back.

"What's up, Sirius?" I said casually.

"Oh, nothing, just escaping my family," he replied just as nonchalantly.

I searched his face for some sort of hidden emotion, but there was nothing on his face but giddiness: his dark hair was swept neatly away from his face, save for a few stray strands that swayed in front of his eyes in the gentle breeze, and his grey eyes glittered in the fierce sunset.

"It's going to be a pretty night," I said, not-so-subtly attempting to change the subject. Sirius's family had always been a touchy subject; the mention of his brother Regulus was often enough to crash Sirius's mood, and not even James could get much information about his parents from him.

"Yeah," Sirius agreed. He stretched out next to me, folded his arms beneath his head, and, to my surprise, stayed quiet for a moment.

"You alright?"

"Never better, actually."

"Hmm...and that's because?" I asked.

He rolled onto his siding, facing me. I was taken aback by the uncharacteristic sincerity in his expression. "I wasn't able to come here a lot the past few summers. My parents barely ever let me out, they'd constantly be at my throat for two horrendous months."

"Something changed?"

"Yeah. Maybe they've realized I'm really not like them, and I don't ever want to be." For a brief second, his expression betrayed a deep hurt, but signs of sadness were quickly washed away with a smile that never quite reached his eyes.

"Oh," I said softly.

We laid on the grass, silent, until the stars came out. The darkness came gently after the sunset, like a blanket falling over us.

It was a clear night. The stars shined fiercely above us, millions of tiny worlds hanging above our heads.

I looked over at Sirius, and his face was completely relaxed. Not asleep, but just moments away from it; I'd never seen him this calm, this...vulnerable.

"Sirius?" I whispered.

"Mm?" His eyes were still open, but his mouth barely moved when he spoke.