Back to Work, Eh?

Once Gaster had gained the ability to walk again, he was straight back to his research. He had descended down to his "secret lab" and immediately got back to his books and complicated experiments and analysations.
He was so absorbed in his book that he didn't notice the door to the lab open, nor did he notice the figure standing behind him, until they tapped him on the shoulder.

It was safe to say he had gotten the fright of his goddamn life.

"SHIT! WHO THE-" Gaster almost fell backwards off the chair he was sitting on. He lashed a hand out instinctively to grab the desk and steady himself, but he only succeeded in knocking over his mug of coffee. He managed to summon a hand to catch the cup while using another to grab the chair and steady it. He glared at whoever had entered his lab.

"Relax.. It's ... just me!" Jessica gasped in between fits of laughter. Gaster went a little purple in the face before fixing her with an irritable look,
"what do you want? How did you even get in here?"

"It didn't take much convincing to get Papyrus to tell me the password." Jessica said matter-of-factly, before frowning a little and raising an eyebrow, "why's it in little smiley faces and snowflakes?"

Gaster frowned, "smiley faces? Snowflakes? They're quite obviously wingdings."

"Meh, that's not what I'm here for, I just wanna borrow a certain book, if you have it 'round here." She gestured towards the huge amount of bookshelves around the lab.

Gaster raised his eyebrows, "you can borrow it if it's on one of my shelves, but most of the books there are just old science and history books."

"Perfect!" She chirped, striding over to the countless shelves that lined the walls of the lab.

Gaster went back to his book, scribbling down on a notepad as he went, noting some things that would come in handy later. When suddenly, an ear-splitting crash made him jump violently in fright for the second time in five minutes.

"Haha, oops.." Jessica was standing in front of a pile of books which had all toppled off a shelf in the left corner of the lab. Gaster sighed in irritation before standing up from his desk.

"Well, come on. You're not just going to sit there and stare while I clean up your mess."

Jessica nodded and bent down to pick up some of the books. Some were unbelievably heavy, and she strained to stand back up with them in her arms. Gaster, however, had no trouble picking up the books with his six extra hands.

"Make sure when you put the books back, they're in alphabetical order." Gaster said flatly, organizing the books on the shelf.

Why am I even surprised... Jessica thought, rolling her eyes and getting to work, examining the titles of each book and slipping them back into their place on the shelf, before bending back down to grab another armful.

It was rinse and repeat until all the books were lined neatly across the shelf.

"Finally.." Jessica groaned, sweating, "you've got some massive books, and it's also so hot in here, I'm practically melting."

"There's a fan in the corner, use it to your hearts content." Gaster replied absently, already back at his desk, his nose stuck back into the same book he had been reading before.

"Yippee, thanks."

Jessica walked over and turned the fan on, setting it to cold. She stood there for a moment, letting the cold air cool her down, before straightening and going back to the search for her desired book. She skimmed the spines of each book with a fingertip, the click of her shoes against the stone floor resounded through the lab, which was otherwise silent.

"Did you find it?" Gaster asked when he noticed her footsteps had came to a halt.

She sighed, "nope, I'm just looking at the other books you got around here."

"What book are you-"

Gaster was cut off by a crash coming from upstairs, followed by a yelp. He immediately leapt to his feet, his chair spinning back into the wall behind him. Jessica turned in surprise and ran to the door, Gaster following shortly after. They made their way up to the source of the noise.

"What the hell happened up...Here..."