chapter 5. Dump Sweet Dump

As they snuck out of the post office, Grinch started muttering something about going soft.
"Pfft. YOU? Soft? You haven’t gone soft since I found Max and begged for you to let me keep him." Said Christine.  "Don’t remind me, My heart grew half a size." he grumbles.

"You know you like the warmth."

"Shut up! I do not! Honestly, I don’t know WHY I put up with you in the first place." he snapped.

With her arms cupped behind her back, she rocked on her heels. " You know you need me ." He returned the comment with an annoyed growl. "Do you think the kid is going to tell?" She asked.

"Don’t know, don’t care". 

Christine rolled her eyes. “ Well You should, Especially if the Who's find out about me and Max. They'll say you've gone soft for real ". He stopped dead in his tracks. "Don’t even say it, You might jinx it!.. Although, we SHOULD hide until it gets dark where nobody can see us, well...in case the brat DOES mention us."

"Well What do you suppose we do?."

Tapping his chin he thought. "Hmm...wanna laugh?". She crossed her arms over her chest. " that depends". He grimaced. " Wow, you're no fun. I was just going to suggest that we go make some prank calls.". Her hands found their way to her hips, a scowl on her face. “ Hey! Im plenty of fun ! " she whines.

“whatever, you keep telling yourself that. Come on let’s go". With that said the pair marched over to an empty phone booth and started dialing numbers in random order.
_________________________________________________

An Hour Later~

Christine rolled her eyes, but laughed as her friend hung up on some random Who. "That was a good one!" He laughs, nearly falling over. 

"Yep. So now what?" she huffs.  "Well, I'm done terrorizing Whos’ for today. Let's go home".

They walk over to a garbage chute. Grunting, he lifted the heavy lid and Max was about to hop in when his master stopped him. " ah-ah- ah. Ladies first," he spat, gesturing towards Christine . She places a hand over her heart, pretending to be flattered. "my my aren't we the gentleman this evening".

Rolling his eyes he takes her hand and helps her inside before clambering in after. "Come on, hurry up!". Max jumps in and sits at Christine feet, barking. Grinch hit the button activating the chute and both exclaim in surprise as the floor drops beneath their feet and are sent flying through the tunnel. "There's got to be a better way!" he screams, Obviously not having fun. Max whined a bit, but was fine sliding on his back.

Christine, on the other hand, giggles and laughs with glee the whole time till they fall out of the chute and into the dump. Rolling over she sat up on her knees, sneezing and brushing herself off.  Grinch sat up and sighed heavily. "A car would have paid for itself by now!".

" Let's do it again ! ".

Before he could reply with a sarcastic remark, there was a rumbling in the pipe.  "Oh goody!" he grinned.  "Another load coming down". Christine grabbed Max and pulled him out of harm's way as Grinch gleefully caught a red bag. "Ugh! What's that awful stench?" She asked, covering her nose.  "I don’t know ...but it's fantastic!" he announced gleefully. Turning over the bag, in big letters it read ‘ Toxic Waste’. 

The woman slapped a hand to her forehead.  "Let's go." she mutters, grabbing a few bags. "Max, grab a bag too. We'll come for the rest later. And by later, I mean you guys".  Grinch adds as they push up the mountain.  " You know Chris! It's amazing what these Whos just throw away! Oh, well. One man's toxic sludge is another man's potpourri". Max then barks. "I don't know. It's some kind of soap."