chapter 9 Stealing Christmas

Grinch stomped outside standing on the edge.  Reliving that one fateful day that changed his life.

Yes he knew all the who boys and girls would wake up bright and early playing with their toys.

" And then, the noise, noise, noise!" He cried out "They'll bang on tong-tinglers. They'll blow their floo-flounders. They'll crash on jang-jinglers and bounce on boing-bounders!" Grinch shouted covering his ears, "And they'll feast and they'll feast, And they'll feast, feast, feast, feast! " he mocked jumping up and down in a furious rage. " They'll eat their Who pudding And rare Who roast beast! He kicked some snow on the ground. "But there's something I just cannot stand in the least. "Oh, no". he stopped realizing what he was doing. "I'm speaking in rhyme! Blast you Whos!" He cursed.

And the more the Grinch thought of what Christmas would bring the more the Grinch thought.

"I must stop this whole thing. Why, for year after year I've been putting up with it now! I must stop this Christmas from coming!" He thought. "But how? I mean, in what way?" He corrected himself. Storming inside he was surprised to find Christine, hunched over on the sofa. No longer in her dress, but in a black long sleeved shirt and jeans. She held her head in her hands. Wincing, she turned slowly. Realizing that he had entered the room.

" hey ".

" Hi" she replied softly. Sitting up, she patted the empty spot next to her. " How's your head?" He asked.

" It still hurts, probably bruised,".

He glared down at his feet.

" what happened ?".

"You hit your head after the explosion." he mutters. Memories of the night came rushing back to her. "Oh. That's right " She smiled softly, resting her head against his warm, furry shoulder. "I'm sorry about everything that happened tonight. If I had known what would happen I wouldn't have forced you to go" She pouts.

"Agh, I should have realized something like that would happen!" he growled. "They love Christmas too much to not try to force it onto others! I dont hold it against you. Seuss how could i have been so stupid".

It was quite for a moment. None wanting to say a word. That is until Christine broke it. " To be honest, I actually had a great time. It was fun. Until he ruined it for both of us". At her statement Grinch rolled his eyes. " oh please. It was a disaster. They Publicly humiliated us".

" Don't lie, you had fun too. I saw a smile on that grumpy face of yours" Christine counters, elbowing him playfully in the ribs. He glares down at her.  " you were seeing things". She huffed, annoyed. He never admitted anything. Especially when he was in the wrong.  Wincing in pain again she got up and walked towards the kitchen then opened one of the cabinets. " I need an aspirin" She grumbles, rummaging thoroughly through the cabinet.

" Yeah, you hit your head pretty hard," he said.

"That's right, I hit my head on something''. Finding what she was looking for, she took a drink of water and swallowed the brightly colored capsule. She made her way back then looked around. Noticing something was missing. " Hey, where's max?".

Her roomate snarled under his breath and walked outside. Christine followed close behind.  He looked over a rock and saw Max, sitting in the snow. Christine peered over then gave him a glare. '' Grinch, why is Max and his house outside?". Humphing, he jumped down, grabbing Max up by his scruff. The brown dog was covered in snow, though it was mostly on his face. Christine cocked her head as his glare melted away. "you okay?" .

But he didn't answer. He simply continued to stare at Max.

Then, he got an idea. An awful idea.
The Grinch got a wonderful,
awful idea.