Chapter 1 The Beginning

Inside a snowflake like the one
on your sleeve
there happened a story you must
see to believe
Way up in the mountains in the
high range of Pontoos
lay the small town of
Whoville--the home of the Whos!
Ask any who and they'll have this
to say
"there's no place like Whoville
around Christmas Day."
Every window was flocked, every
lamppost was dressed
and the Whoville Band marched in
their Christmas-ybest.
Arbor Day was fine and Easter was
pleasant and
every St. Fizzes Day they ate a
fizz pheasant.
But every Who knew from their 12
toes to their snout
they loved Christmas the most without a who doubt

The year is 1983. In the Cheery little town of Whoville all whos’ tall and small bustled about with no time at all. A week until Christmas and all the shops had their holiday sales, Whos’ were nimble and Whos’ were rushed. Yes, every Who down in Whoville loved Christmas with all of their hearts. But one who just up north did not. Far North beyond Whoville, treacherous mountains surrounded the town, the tallest was Mount Crumpit. No Brave who in their right sight set of mind would dare climb the mountain this time of year. 

"I HATE CHRISTMAS! I HATE IT!" A young, hairy Irish green boy shouted over the edge of a mountain. An 8 year old by the name of Grinch lived by himself at the top of Mount Crumpit, where he knew he would have a bit of peace away from THEM. The Whos, oh how he HATED them. It had already been a few years since that awful day... the gift exchange. It still haunted him and he knew that it forever will, they called him a monster, a freak! He may have been born different but that wasn’t his fault.  Sighing he peered down over the edge, staring down at the overwhelmingly cheery town of Whoville. He could hear the sickeningly sweet holiday music from ten thousand feet high. With a heavy hateful growl he shook his head. "At least it's peaceful up here, and I have all the company I need: Me, Myself, and I."  he smiled in triumph, then frowned. He was just lying to himself... again.  He wished somewhere out there, someone was just as much a freak and an outcast as he was.

But of course this was a hopeless thought, he knew that he was the only one that was like him.  He stomped inside the cave he called home and rested on an old dirty, tattered mattress that he had found some time ago at the dump. It was the only reliance of resource since he refused to set foot in town this time of year. Unlike other days since he left he would sneak down in disguise and rob them of anything he needed. Once comfortable he closed his restless eyes, listening to the violent storm outside.

RING RING RING RING RING!

His amber green eyes shot open and he growled.  "What the hell!?". Running over to the door he listened to the sound of the blizzard alarm.

“WARNING. WARNING. BLIZZARD APPROACHING"

He groaned then shrugged, "I hope they get frostbite." he muttered before snickering to himself. The thought of a Whosical was too much for his demented young mind not to laugh at.

Hours earlier, down in whoville, a young child shivered from the cold and pulled her tattered cloak over her face. The girl stood behind a shop building, waiting uneasily for a safe opportunity to step out into the open. The young who’s name was Christine. She was all alone in this cold world, a world blinded by fear and ignorance. She wished she was normal.

On an unnaturally windy night a pail pumbercella descended onto the doorstep of a wealthy who and his wife. When the couple lifted the veil they were horrified, the newborn was no ordinary baby..no, it was a monster. Instead of having soft skin, it was completely covered in hair whiter than snow when it should have been just on her head. Instead of having beautiful rounded ears on the side of her head, they were pointed and perked up and had a flat button nose in the shape of a T with whiskers. It had a mouth full of sharp canines, needle sharp claws, and finally a long puffed tail. It was atrocious, obscene. A bad omen. Disgusted and afraid of ridicule, the couple immediately dropped her off at the local Whoville orphanage and never looked back. Or so Christine was told.