chapter 10 saving Christmas

Back down in Whoville, all the residents of the town came out of their homes crying."What an embarrassment! I've been robbed!" A who cried, he then got in his car and started driving. What he didn't know was that a rope was tied to his bumper, the other end was tied to mayor MayWho bed. 

Late in the night while the two thieves were making their rounds, Christine had the idea to join in on the fun when her friend landed on Mayor May-who's house. As he was stripping Augustus's house of anything Christmassy, Christine snuck into the mayor's bedroom, tied some bit of rope to the foot of his bed, then tied the other end to a car outside. Payback for humiliating them at the party.

As the who drove off the mayor screamed as he was dragged across Whoville. The driver looked back to see the mayor, he hit the brakes hard. The sudden stop of the car sent the mayor flying with his bed. Once the bed finally stopped moving Agustus climbed off and stood in the middle of town square. " I wonder who could have done this" he asked in false wonder.  " Tell you people one thing, Invite the Grinch...destroy Christmas, Invite the Grinch destroy Christmas!" He rampaged, hitting his bed." But did anyone listen to me?"

"I did!" His assistant added.

"No!" He screamed. "You choose to listen to a little not-to-be-taken-seriously girl, who hasn't even grown into her nose yet" Augustus exclaimed, making cindy feel very guilty.''Cindy, I hope you're very proud of what you've done" the mayor added before walking away.

“ If she isn't, I am!” Lou blurted out, making everyone gasp. "I'm glad he took our presents." He announced louder. "What?" The mayor asked lowly "I....I'm glad."  Lou stammered gaining more confidence. " He's glad,You're glad, You're glad everything is gone. You're glad that the Grinch and Ghost virtually wrecked..No, not wrecked, pulverized Christmas...Is that what I'm hearing?" The mayor Announced, trying to make Lou feel bad.

"You can't hurt Christmas, Mr. Mayor'' Lou said.“ because it isn't about the gifts or the contests or the fancy lights, That's what Cindy's been trying to tell everyone,” Lou then looks over to his family. “And me, She's been trying to tell me" he now realized what his daughter was telling him.  Cindy gave a small smile at her father, proud of him.

"What is wrong with you?! This is a child!" Augustus shouted, glaring daggers at the who who dared challenged him. “She’s my child And she happens to be right, by the way" he got up into the mayors face" why I don't need anything more for Christmas than this right here" getting out of the mayors face he walked over to his family and hugged them. "my family, Merry Christmas, everybody!" He announced, turning to the crowd "Merry Christmas" the whos cried.

"Give me a break" Mayor May Who sighed defeatedly. As everyone was hugging each other, Cindy snuck away and headed up the mountain to see Christine and the Grinch

Up on mount Crumpit Grinch could barely contain his excitement.  "Now for the final note in my symphony of downright nasty not-niceness! The crescendo of my odious opus! he wailed through gnashing teeth. "The bellowing of the bitterly bummed out! It'll be like music to my ears!" he cheered over the edge.

Then he heard a sound rising over the snow.
first It started in low, Then it started to grow But the sound wasn't sad,
Why, this sounded merry. But it was merry, Every Who down in Whoville,
the tall and the small were singing without any presents at all.
He hadn't stopped Christmas from coming. It came.

"Somehow or other, it came just the same!" He shouted

And the Grinch, with his feet ice-cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling.

"How could it be so?" He asked looking up at christine who looked over the large bag. "It came without ribbons! It came without tags! It came without packages, boxes or bags!" He shouted, confused as to why the Who's were so happy.