Chapter Six: Party

During the flight back, Tony was granted permission to look over the scepter because there is no way that it should be giving enhancements to humans. Thor put his hand on my shoulder affectionately.

          "You fought very well," he complimented, "I would like for you to be my date to the farewell party."

          Before Steve could interject I happily accepted, "Of course. It would be rude to turn down a god."

          "Excellent," he said and went to talk to Dr. Banner and Nat.

          "His date?" Steve asked, a little jealous and irritated.

          "He asked first," I said and threw playful punches at him.

          "Need a ride home?" he offered and easily blocked me.

          "Please," I accepted and we landed at the Avengers tower.

          Dr. Cho immediately took Clint with Nat and some nurses assisting. Agent Hill boarded and needed Steve and I.

          "Who are the Enhancements?" I asked and she handed me their profiles.

          "Twins. Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Orphans. They were ten when a shell collapsed their apartment building," she said.

          "Their enhancements?" Steve asked and took the profiles from me.

          "He's got increased metabolism and improved thermal homeostasis. Her thing is neuroelectronic interfacing, telekinesis, and mental manipulation," she explained while we walked to the elevator.

          I nodded and noticed Steve didn't understand, "Basically, he's very fast and she's a little weird. Mess with your head and make your body move in not nice ways."

          He nodded, "They're gonna show up again. They weren't captured."

          "It's wild," she said.

          "Not really. I can think of two people who let Germans experiment on them to protect their country," I said, getting in the elevator with Steve.

          "We aren't at war, Rose," she said.

          Steve was closing the door to our elevator without her, "They are."

          Steve and I were alone going down the elevator to the parking garage. I saw the Iron Legion returning and it looked like the civilians didn't like us much. I really don't blame them. The Legion consisted of bots and A.I.s to protect human life that would typically be inside of them. Steve gave me a ride home and dropped me off. I grabbed my bags and headed inside. No one was here and I began to strip on my way to my room. Once I was stripped nude, I went to the bathroom and washed up. Date with a god? I should at least look the part. I spent the next three days alone.

          On the night of the party, I brushed my hair up into a messy bun and slipped on my dress. It was a simple Army green color and it had a collar around the base of my neck. It covered my breast, leaving a little on the sides for show, and it was sleeveless. There was a gap between my cleavage in the center and the back of the dress was identical in design. It stopped just above my knees. I strapped my Colt against my inner thigh and it was concealed. Within the wedge of my heels were small knives. I wore my dogtags no matter what with my ring.

          I picked up my emergency phone and called Bucky, "Bucky?"

          "Rosey," he answered immediately, "are you home?"