Chapter Twelve: Plan

"I'll get Clint," Laura said excitedly and went downstairs.

          I ran my hand through my bangs and looked at the test again in my other hand. It was positive. I'm pregnant. I didn't think it was possible.

          Clint ran up and signed to me, "Well?"

          I exhaled a tearful laugh and showed it to him. He laughed and patted my upper arm. Suddenly, reality hit me. It was Bucky's. It couldn't be anyone else's. Oh, my god. Did Bucky want kids? I'm on a mission. Will my baby be ok? I looked up and I knew Clint was thinking the same things.

          "What are you going to do?" he asked in sign.

          "When this is done, I'm going to him," I said and signed it.

          "Are you going to tell Steve?" he asked in sign again.

          "I don't know yet," I signed slower and had trouble speaking.

          "I won't tell. Neither will Laura," he signed and said.

          "Thank you," I said and signed.

          Laura took me to a room that I would be sharing with Steve. She told me about her first pregnancy and what I should be doing. For one, no more alcohol and I can't go on any more missions after this. I looked at my stomach that was scarred and it felt almost poetic that I was going to be carrying his baby now. I might have a normal life like this. She left me alone and I put the test in my bag. Steve knocked and came in.

          "Steve," I said, "we need to talk."

          "Is it about what I said?" he asked and sat next to me.

          I shook my head, "Steve, I haven't been honest with you."

          "What is it?" he asked and watched me dig through my bag.

          I showed him the test, "I'm pregnant. When I was in Europe, I found him."

          He stared at me intensely, "Ro, why the hell didn't yo-"

          "He doesn't want to be found!" I yelled over him.

          He flinched, "Sam's been out there-"

          "Dammit! I know!" I yelled, "I'm sorry!"

          "Well?" he asked angrily, "What are you going to do now? Leave? Disappear like him?"

          "Eventually," I said, calming down and my hand pressed against my stomach, "but I'm finishing this mission, Steve. When it's done, I'm going to him. I'm sorry but he doesn't want to be found. He isn't stable. I was trying for weeks."

          Steve was silent for a moment but I knew he was fuming, "Ro, you should have told me when you found him. At least I would've known where he was."

          "You can't keep tabs on people like that, Steve," I said.

          "And you can?" he asked.

          "Maybe I shouldn't have told you. I should have just left when this was over. I'm sleeping downstairs," I said angrily and left the room without going back to him, even when he called me.

          I went into the forest and climbed up a tree to call Bucky, "Hello?"

          "Rose," Bucky answered, "what's the situation? I saw what happened in Africa. What are you doing there?"