Chapter Eleven: Family

After the Hulk was taken down by Tony in Veronica, Dr. Banner and Tony boarded the Quinjet. Steve, Thor, Nat, and Dr. Banner were all out of it even after they snapped out of the mind games. Tony and I were looking over the footage of the news that covered the Hulk going rampant in the streets. Clint was flying the Quinjet and Agent Hill contacted us over the radio.

          "The news is loving you guys," she said, "but nobody else is. There's been no official call for Banner's arrest but it's in the air. For now, I'd stay in stealth mode and stay away from here. Until we find Ultron, I don't have a lot else to offer."

          I hugged Steve and he fell back against me. Clint said we were a few hours away from a safe house that he's been to. It was morning when we arrived and Clint landed the Quinjet in some nearby woods. From what I could see, it was a farmhouse with a barn. This must be his home. When we got out of the Quinjet, Clint carried Nat out and led the way. Tony followed with Thor, Steve, Dr. Banner, and I behind in a line.

         "Honey?" Clint asked as we walked in the front door, "I'm home."

          A pretty and pregnant woman came out but was surprised to see us, "Hi."

          They shared a kiss and Clint introduced his wife as Laura. Footsteps approached and it was their children. The girl asked for Auntie Nat and ran to her when she saw her. I accidentally stepped on a Lego project and broke it. Steve and Thor looked at me and I shrugged at them before kicking it away under the couch. Clint was going to be having another boy but Thor left the room. I ran after him.

          "Where are you going?" I asked.

          "I saw something and I need answers. Our paths will cross again," he said and flew off.

          I went back inside and saw Clint whisper something to his wife.

          "Um, Rose," Laura called, "could you help me upstairs?"

          I nodded and Steve went out to clear his head. Clint and Nat stayed with his kids while I followed Laura upstairs.

        "You have a lovely home," I said, "I'm a little envious."

         "Why, thank you! However, Clint tells me that you got sick yesterday," she said.

          She led me into a bathroom and told me to sit on the toilet lid, "Yeah, I think it's just from stress. Or anxiety. War does that."

          She rummaged through a box and gave it to me, "I know we just met and that this is very personal but have you gotten your period?"

          I looked at the box and panickedly looked at her, "Well, no, but you don't think..?"

          She tried to give me a comforting smile, "Clint swore me to secrecy no matter the result. Just come out when you're ready."

          She left the bathroom and I locked the door. I read the box again and it was a box of pregnancy tests. I took a few deep breaths and followed the instructions. Waiting for the test was testing my patience and I started to pace around. When it was time, I looked at the test. I nearly dropped it and started to cry. Oh, my god. I'm pregnant. I smiled and held my stomach with my free hand. I'm going to be a mom. I opened the door and showed Laura.

          I was smiling and crying, "I'm pregnant."