Chapter Eight: Tony

We gathered in Tony's lab where the scepter was now missing. Sam and I were working on each other to take out glass shards from the fight.

          "All our work is gone," Dr. Banner said as he went through our system, "Ultron cleared out. He used the Internet as an escape hatch."

          Steve was clearly provoked and scoffed, "Ultron."

          Nat was going through our files, "He's been in everything. Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other."

          I flinched and poked Sam, "Ow!"

          My eyes flickered and I didn't notice Clint observing me, "S-Sorry. I'm worried about my place. The grandkids."

          Rhodes was holding his bleeding arm, "He's in your files, he's in the Internet. What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?"

          I finished on Sam and Sam was still working on me. I was still thinking about Bucky and the grandkids.

          "Nuclear codes," Agent Hill brought up while taking glass out of her foot.

          "Nuclear codes," Rhodes confirmed.

          "Nukes?" Nat asked, "He said he wanted us dead."

          "He didn't say 'dead'-" I explained but Steve always finishes my sentences, "He said 'extinct'."

          "He also said he killed somebody but there wasn't anyone else in the building," Clint said and took over for Sam to help me.

           "Yes, there was," Tony said remorsefully and showed us a destroyed program of Jarvis.

          "Jarvis was the first line of defense," Steve said.

          "You're protecting someone," Clint whispered and signed.

          I signed to him only, "Are you?"

          He didn't answer and our attention was brought to Thor in his suit and angrily picking up Tony in a one hand choke. I was amazed at his strength. However, we can't let him kill Tony. I rushed to stand between them and put my hand on Thor's extended arm.

          "Thor," I said and got his attention, "put him down, please. Where's the Iron Legion?"

          He sighed and dropped Tony, "Trail went cold about 100 miles out, but it's headed north. And it has the scepter. Now we have to retrieve it, again."

          "Sorry, but we have to stop Ultron first," Nat said.

          "I don't understand," Dr. Cho said, "you built this program. Why is it trying to kill us?"

          Tony started to laugh and Clint finished aiding me. The group started to argue among Tony, Dr. Banner, and Steve. We were supposed to be different from SHIELD. However, Tony was trying to build something to protect Earth. What he saw in space was something that was eating away at him. We couldn't stop the army or keep up the fight. The Avengers were very small compared to an alien army that was going to wipe out our planet. We don't even know what other worlds are capable of. Not long ago, we didn't even know of other worlds until Thor crashed into Earth. I didn't blame Tony for trying to protect Earth, but I didn't like that his secret was one that could have been shared. Even if I had my own secrets. Steve made a promise that we would've fought together and if we lost, we would've done that together too. He looked at me and I nodded. That night, I spent it in the tower and called Bucky.

          "Rosey," he answered anxiously, "what is it?"

          "Buck," I said shakily, "we're compromised. An A.I. got into the system. He's called Ultron. I'm going to be out of touch until the threat is gone."

          "Are you ok?" he asked.

          "Bit of a fire fight but I'm alright," I said and glanced around.

          "You'll call me if you need me, right?" he asked.

          "Always. I love you," I said softly.

          "I love you, too. Be safe," he said and hung up.

          I put away the phone and Clint stepped out of the hallway with a cross look on his face.