14: Baby shower

VERONICA
"Ok, so I've arranged with Jughead and he's gonna keep Betty busy for the day. She was planning to come to Pop's but he convinced her to stay home." I smiled, setting up some balloons.

"Le Bonne Nuit is perfect for any event." Kevin admitted as he and Toni hung a banner over the stage.

"Yep. I've also talked to Gladys and JB. They're currently making special treats for today." I announced, putting the bunches of balloons all over the place.

"How far along is Betty?" Toni asked.

"She's almost halfway through her fifth month." Cheryl spoke.

"Josie?!" My eyes widened as Josie McCoy walked down the stairs.

"Is the invitation extended to me?" She asked, smiling.

"Of course girl! How's my favourite Pussy Cat?" I asked, hugging my friend.

"Good. I've spent the past 3 month on tour with my father." She smiled, hugging me back.

"It's great to see you, Josie." Cheryl hugged Josie.

"So, who's having a baby shower?" She looked around.

"Betty, except, she doesn't know." I laughed.

"Wait, Betty's pregnant?" She asked, confused.

"Yep. Nearly 5 and 1/2 months pregnant to be exact." Kevin spoke up.

"Wow. I'll definitely have to say hello to her." Josie admitted.

"Josie?" We all heard a male voice.

"Sweet Pea." Josie smiled as she turned around to greet him. They hugged, until Sweet Pea pulled away.

"What's that, in your hand?" I asked, seeing the folded up piece of paper in his hand.

"Its a letter of some sort. I didn't open it." He handed it to me, my eyes widening.

Hello Veronica,

I hope Le Bonne Nuit is doing well. Betty won't talk to me directly, and I want you to ask her to meet me at the park in Greendale. Ask her within the next couple of hours.

-H.C

"Who the hell is H.C?" Cheryl asked, reading the letter.

"Hal Cooper. Betty's father." I looked up.

"The Black Hood is back?" Josie asked, panicking.

"No. It's just Hal. He wants to talk to Betty." I calmed her down.

"Do it Veronica. Let Betty go and meet her dad, and Jughead can keep an eye on her. It'll keep her away from here until we're ready to go." Toni suggested.

"Ok." I said, grabbing my phone.

Me: Hey, B? Can I ask you something?

Betty: Of course. What's up?

Me: Your father sent a letter to me. He wants to meet you at the park in Greendale.

Betty: Why didn't he contact me?

Me: Cause you wouldn't have gone.

Betty: Fine. I'll be there soon. I'll bring Jughead as well.

Putting in my phone away, I was glad that we no how extra time to get the baby shower all set up.
———
BETTY
Jughead drove me to Greendale, my heart racing as I thought of seeing my father again.

"Everything will be ok. If your dad has some ulterior motive, he won't attempt it because I'm here." Jughead held my hand, the baby kicking me some more.

We parked the car, my eyes immediately seeing my father sitting at a park bench. Jughead helped me out of the car, us walking to the park bench.

"Betty..." He stopped, seeing my baby bump.

"Hello father." I smiled slightly.

"How far along are you?" He asked, smiling.

"Nearly 5 and 1/2 months." I spoke, sitting down.

"Why is he here?" He asked, looking at Jughead.

"She had reservations about coming." Jughead admitted.

"You're right." He smiled, before he started the conversation he wanted to initiate.
———
VERONICA
Smiling at all the decorations, Gladys and JB finished setting up the food and snacks.

"It's time, Ronnie. Make the call." Archie smiled, watching as I grabbed my phone.

Betty: Hey, V? What's up?

Me: Can you come to Le Bonne Nuit please? Josie's in town and she wants to trial some new songs.

Betty: We'll be there soon. The faster I can get away from my father, the better.

Hanging up the phone, everyone waited. Only the main crew of friends and a few family members were allowed to attend, since any drama could cause unwanted and bad stress for Betty and her baby.

After about 25 minutes, I heard the entrance to Le Bonne Nuit open, so we all stayed quiet.

"V? Why is it so dark in-" She barely finished her sentence before we all yelled surprise.

"SURPRISE!" She laughed as she walked downstairs.

"Is this a baby shower? Aww! We love it." Jughead wrapped his arm around my waist.

"I'll be right back." I excused myself, seeing Reggie trying to get my attention.

"What is it Reggie?" I asked, before being greeted by my father.

"Father." I fake smiled, watching as he tried to get into Le Bonne Nuit.

"Mijha." He smiled, trying to get in.

"Excuse me? Where do you think you're going?" I stopped him.

"I'm going down to Le Bonne Nuit for my poker game?" He smiled.

"No. There is currently a baby shower being thrown for my friend, and before you try and come up with some stupid excuse, Le Bonne Nuit is my establishment under the diner that I own. The only person who organises events for Le Bonne Nuit is me, and if you even think for a moment that you can come into Pop's and demand to go into Le Bonne Nuit, you're mistaken. So, I suggest that you take your stupid suit and leave, before I let the serpents take you out." I threatened, watching as Sweet Pea and Fangs stood besides me, hoping that my father would leave.

Once he did leave, I was happy to see more guests arriving.

BETTY
The baby shower was amazing. A lot of little clothes for my baby boy, lots of toys and lots of little hats.

"Jughead, look! It's a mini crown beanie, exactly like yours!" I held it up for him to see.

"Who got that for you?" He asked.

"I did!" JB raised her hand, hugging Jughead.

"Well, I want one. I'm jealous of our little boy now!" I laughed, placing the beanie in the little basket I was given.

"One more, from the Blossoms." Cheryl smiled, rolling a very modern stroller, which is of course red, towards the stage.

"Oh, my, god. Cheryl. That is so cute." I smiled hugging her.

We continued the baby shower, everyone enjoying the food that Gladys and JB brought. Jughead was constantly smiling and crying over all the cute things that people got us.