19: 5 years later

BETTY
I walked through Central Park in New York, watching as Jughead and AJ played in the Autumn leaves that surrounded the footpaths.

"Jug, don't get AJ too dirty. We're going out for dinner tonight!" I whined as Jughead picked AJ out of the leaves, lifting him up and up.

Ever since Jughead got his book about the town of Riverdale published, he kept writing, and as he kept writing, AJ became more and more like him. Every night, they'd read one of Jughead's published books, AJ always asking for him to read.

"Hey, daddy? Can you read the beginning of your book?" AJ asked as I placed his pyjamas on the bed.

"Of course, AJ." Jughead kissed his forehead, AJ placing his pyjamas on before getting into bed.

"Our story is about a town, a small town, and the people who live in the town. From a distance, it presents itself like so many other small towns all over the world. Safe. Decent. Innocent. Get closer, though, and you start seeing the shadows underneath. The name of our town is Riverdale." Jughead opened his novel, my mind flashing to the first event that rocked Riverdale, and sent it on a downward spiral.

There was nothing abnormal about our family.

Jughead and I married a year after we left Riverdale, so our college experience was exactly how we expected it.

College itself was rewarding, as Jughead graduated with a Teaching degree, and he was offered his first teaching job.

"Mr Jones, we want to offer you a teaching position here. We know, based on your high grades at Riverdale High and your writing experience, that you'd be the perfect teacher here and as for the curriculum, we're asking our students to read your first novel. Who better to analyse it, than you."

I, on the other hand, graduated with a Criminology degree, which guaranteed me a spot in the FBI, as an agent.

"Mrs Jones, we need you on the TBK case. One of our more...experienced officers is sick, but we know you can handle the job."

As for AJ, he was just a normal kid, who was often recognised by others who knew of Jughead and his writing.

"Hi, are you, Archie Jones, son of Jughead Jones?" A woman asked, walking up to our son. Jughead stood up from his seat, concerned.

"Yes he is. Who, might I ask, are you?" He protected Archie, allowing me to take care of him.

"Oh, I'm just a massive fan, of your writing." She smiled.

Tonight, Jughead and I were to celebrate our 4 year wedding anniversary. AJ was coming with us, as he had matured for his age.

"Mommy. I heard that Auntie Polly was coming to visit, with Juniper and Dagwood." He smiled as Jughead placed his signed book on AJ's bedside table.

"Yes. They're coming this weekend." I smiled, hugging him.

AJ loves when Juniper and Dagwood come to visit. Even though they are older than him, he loves to read with them, and play games with them.

"Hey, Juggie, can you get AJ his suit and tie please? I need to get his lunch for tomorrow sorted." I asked, getting bread out.

"After 15 minutes, I watched as Jughead walked out, his beanie nowhere in sight. Even today, after all the years I've known him, he always refused to take off the beanie.

"Where's the beanie, Jug?" I asked, smiling.

"I decided to retire it. I've worn it most of my life. I wore it on the day we met. I wore it the day AJ was born. I even wore it on our wedding day." He laughed.

As my mom walked me down the aisle, a bouquet in my hands and my white dress clinging to my body, I giggled a bit when I saw Jughead up at the altar, standing besides the officiant, his signature beanie on his head. I watched as AJ slept soundly in Gladys' arms.

"Where's my little serpent?" I asked, looking around the corner.

"Just wait until you see what he wanted to wear with his suit." Jughead left the kitchen of our home, coming back 3 minutes later.

"Oh my god." My eyes widened with happiness as I witnessed both Jughead and AJ walk into the kitchen area, their serpent jackets lightly bound to their backs, and their beanies even in the same position.

"I want a photo, and I'm in it." I laughed, grabbing my serpent jacket and beanie, putting the beanie on in the same position as the boys.

"Say, serpents!" I smiled, the boys and I posing for a selfie.

"Serpents!" Jughead and AJ said in unison as the camera flash went off.

I posted the photo onto Instagram, the caption being: Serpent Family Pride.

Of course, my comments being from Jughead's family, my family, and even some of our friends.

KKeller OMG! I'm dying for this look. I'm getting it framed.

ToniTB Aww! Serpent pride forever!

FPJones I'm proud of you son, and my grandson.

Alicesmith Once a serpent, always a serpent.

Yes. As no one expected, my mom changed her last name to Smith, as the name Cooper gave her a bad reputation.

"Can you send that to me?" Jughead smiled. Just as I sent the photo to him, my phone buzzed, signalling to me that Veronica was calling.

"Hold on." I stopped our conversation, Jughead taking Archie into the other room, knowing that if it was from Veronica, that the conversation was either good or bad, no in between.

Me: Hey, what's going on, V?

Veronica: My dad. He- He- He was shot, they caught the culprit and he was arrested.

Me: Is your father ok?

Veronica: No. He didn't make it. The paramedics got here too late. We're holding a funeral in two days.

Me: We'll be there, V. Me, Jughead, and AJ.

Veronica: Are you sure about AJ? Don't you think he's too young to come to a funeral?

Me: Juniper and Dagwood were barely 6 months old when Jason died.

Veronica: You're right. See you then.

Putting my phone away, Jughead walked back into the kitchen.

"What did Veronica want?" He asked.

"Her father was shot, and they're holding a funeral in two days. We're attending, right?" I asked, sitting down.

"Yes. I'll go and get AJ's bag packed." Jughead lifted AJ off the couch, taking him upstairs. Within minutes, I was upstairs, packing my bag, listening to AJ ask questions.

After 15 minutes, Jughead had packed AJ's bag and I had packed our bags. We walked downstairs, before we locked the front door of our house. After we got into the car, I drove while Jughead read a book so AJ would soon fall asleep.