Ch 3: a week of unconscious Espresso

~~~~~

The next day, Madeleine stayed home just as Herb requested. He replaced Espresso's pillow and sheets with clean ones, along with cleaning his cloak. Madeleine put some of his clothes on Espresso. He was awake for a few hours reading a book he found in living room. He wasn't wearing his armor, just a casual white T-shirt and black sweatpants, since there was no need to wear anything protective in his own house.

Madeleine would occasionally stop reading to get something to drink or check on Espresso. Espresso's physical wounds seem to be healing well, but he still waited for Sparkling to arrive with the drink.
While he was checking up on Espresso, he heard a knock on his door.

But instead of Sparkling, as he had thought, Latte was at the door, holding a basket with something inside it.

"Latte, hello" Madeleine greeted.
"Good day Madeleine Latte responded, "how is Espresso doing?"

"He is doing well, I am still waiting for Sparking to come over with the drink." Madeleine spotted the basket, "what do you have there?"

"Oh," Latte lifted up the basket, "it's glazed donuts for when Espresso wakes up, he loves these."
Latte handed the basket to Madeleine, which he thanked her for.

"I wish I could stay and discuss with you more, but I need to attend my class, I can't be late" Latte sighed.
And with that, Latte hurried away, leaving Madeleine with the basket in hand. He Looked at the basket and walked towards the island in his kitchen and placed the basket on it. While he was doing so, he heard another knock at the door.

He looked towards the sound of the knock and made his way towards the door.
He opened it up and saw Sparkling sweating and panting. It looked like he just ran a marathon. He was holding a box with both of his arms, it was clutched closely to his chest.

"Sparkling? Are you okay my friend?" Madeleine asked, as he looked down at the box he was holding.

"I'm sorry I didn't come sooner, my shift was more busy than usual" Sparkling apologized. He let out a few long breaths "I have the drink for Espresso though."

Sparkling loosened the grip on the box and gave it to Madeleine, who took it. He stared at the box, his mind lost in thought, and but was snapped back to reality when he heard Sparkling.

"May I come in to help you give it to Espresso?"

"Uh.. Oh! Yeah!" He awkwardly shuffled away from the door to let Sparkling in.

Madeleine showed Sparkling to Espresso's room, and Sparkling walked on the other side of Espresso's bed. Madeline placed the box on the chair and opened up, and retrieved a small glass bottle that contained a tan liquid.

"Okay, Madeleine, very carefully lift up Espresso's head" Sparkling ordered. Madeleine nodded and shuffled closer to Espresso, and carefully lifted his head with his free hand.

Sparking nodded, "that's good. Open the bottle and give a little bit to Espresso, a few drops should do."

Espresso's mouth was already slightly open, so it made it easier for Madeline, he opened the bottle with his thumb and put the glass up to his mouth, and he slowly tilted it up and gave him a few drops.
"That's enough." Sparking said. Madeleine moved the glass away and lowered his head back on the pillow.

Sparkling nodded, "make sure you do that every day until he wakes back up."
Madeleine smiled and walked him out the door, "thank you Sparkling, may the Divine light your path"
Sparkling thanked him and walked back towards the bar.

Madeline closed the door, closed his eyes, and let out a sad sigh.
He plod towards the book he was reading, and put it away. He slowly walked towards Espresso's room and plopped onto the chair next to his bed.
He puts his arms on his legs and his head on his hands, covering his eyes.
He stayed like that for a while, it was silent.
He removed his head from his hands, he lifted up his head and stared at Espresso.
"I wonder when you will wake up." He though out loud.

~~~~~
A day before the incident

Some time before, He and Espresso had gone on a quest together, sent from the republic, their homeland. They had split off sometime during. When Madeleine had entered this kingdom. He didn't see Espresso until his house was built and he started helping other cookies around the palace.

That's when Madeleine spotted Espresso outside his house, Espresso didn't seem like he was in the best mood however.
He didn't know that Espresso had lived in the new kingdom, and was clearly shocked.
He went over to go say hi to his old 'friend'.

"Espresso!" Madeleine called out in surprise and excitement, and of course with his iconic smirk.

Espresso, very confused, turned his head and made eye contact with Madeleine, he let out an annoyed groan when Madeleine approached him

"How have you been, old friend?" Madeleine beamed.

"What are you doing here?" Espresso gritted his teeth, looking up at the taller man.

"I could ask you the same thing!" Madeleine laughed

Espresso rolled his eyes and scoffed, "I must be in my way, I have an experiment to finish."
Espresso sped walked away, but to his dismay, Madeleine was following behind.
Espresso had to make his way to the shop to get the Coffee beans that he had somehow forgotten to get before hand. They had stayed silent until they reached the market.

Espresso whipped his head around towards Madeleine

"Can you just leave me alone??" Espresso snapped
Madeleine was taken aback, he didn't know what to say, clearly hurt by his remark.

Espresso realized that people were watching them, Espresso put two fingers on the bridge of his nose and let out a sharp sigh. He didn't want to be seen with Madeleine, especially since he's not in the best mood, he didn't want this to harm his reputation in any way.

"Just, go away." Espresso repeated, more calmly, "I need to finish my experiment."
Madeleine just dipped his head in defeat and walked away.

Espresso let out a relieved sigh, but something deep, deep down wished that Madeleine could stay, but Espresso brushed that feeling off and proceeded with purchasing his missing materials.

~~~~~

Madeline stood up, and left the room. He put on his armor and walked out of the door. He decided to take a stroll through the kingdom, maybe it could help clear his head.
Many people had walked up to him, asking about Espresso, asking if he's alright, stuff like that, and he answered their questions and concerns.

After another long day of helping the kingdom, he walked back to his house, took off his armor, checked on Espresso, and collapsed in bed to sleep.

Rinse and repeat for 5 days, wake up, give espresso the drink, leave to help the kingdom, periodically go back home to check on espresso, make sure that his pillow and sheets are well kept and clean, make sure that he looks comfortable, leave again, and then come back home to sleep. Some days, Herb would come over to check up on Espresso,
Overall, it was a very stressful week for Madeline