Chapter 9

Miss McCall adjusted her glasses, focusing her attention on me. "Well, there was a lot of yelling. It woke me up. I looked out my bedroom window and saw the sheriffs boy."

"Did you notice anything unusual about him?" I asked.

She scoffed. "You bet your sweet ass I did."

A few laughs arose from the courtroom.

"Language." The judge said.

Miss McCall rolled her eyes. "Anyway, that little asshole came running out of the house, blood all over his shirt. He was talking to someone on the phone. No doubt his good for nothing father."

"Language!" The judge ordered.

A few more laughs rang out.

I suppressed a smile of my own. "What happened after that?"

"Well, he took off running so I called the police." She finished, sitting back in her seat.

"Did anyone else see any of this?" I asked.

"The whole damn neighborhood came outside when they heard the screams. They might be easily manipulated, but they aren't blind."

I nodded to her. "Thank you, miss McCall. That's all for me, your honor."

The judge called Benny up.

He strutted over to her, a big smile on his face. "Good afternoon. I'm glad you could join us today."

"Yeah, bite me." She replied.

"Miss McCall, I will not allow any more of that kind of language in my courtroom. One more word and I'll hold you in contempt of court. Is that understood?" The judge asked.

Miss McCall rolled her eyes again but nodded anyway.

Benny nodded to her. "So, ma'am, you said something interesting before. 'They might be easily manipulated, but they aren't blind.'"

"What of it?" She asked.

"I noticed you're wearing a pair of glasses today. May I ask, are they prescription?"

"Well, they certainly aren't designer." She replied.

Benny let out a little chuckle with the rest of the courtroom. "Could you remove them for me?"

She looked to me, then to the judge, who nodded.

Miss McCall removed her glasses while Benny started walking to the back of the room. "Were you wearing your glasses that night, ma'am?"

She squinted, trying to focus on him. "No, like I said, I was sleeping when I heard the commotion."

Benny stopped at the end of the room, raising his arm. "Miss McCall, could you tell me how many fingers I'm holding up?"

She squinted even more, a look of anger crossing her face. "What does this have to do with anything?"

"Answer the question, miss McCall." The judge ordered.

She sat back then, defeated. "I don't know."

Dakota squeezed my hand. "Oh no..."

I looked to her before letting out a sigh. "Dakota, I..."

She just shook her head. "It's all my fault..."

"Im through, your honor." Benny said.

The judge released miss McCall, slight murmurs breaking out amongst the courtroom.