Chapter 1

I felt the warm tears spill down my cheeks as I looked down at my best friends face, blood leaking from her lips.

I held her limp frame in both arms and rested my head on her shoulder. "Please, Holly... don't go... don't leave me..."

Then, I heard the front door fly open and before I could react, six or seven cops stood in front of me, guns pointed in my direction.

"Lemme see your hands!" One shouted.

I slowly raised my bloodied hands above my head. "Please... do something..."

One cop came around and handcuffed my hands behind my back. He helped me to my feet before escorting me outside, away from Holly...

I blinked a few times, a stray tear running down my cheek, before sitting up and rubbing my tired eyes.

I looked through the cell door, seeing the familiar guard on the other side.

"Good morning." I greeted, just like I did every morning since I got here.

And, just like every morning, she ignored me.

I stood up and stretched my aching back and shoulders before hearing a woman's voice.

"Excuse me?"

I turned, expecting it to be the guard, but I was wrong. A beautiful, young woman in a pants suit stood on the other side.

"Uh, yes?" I replied.

She pulled out a piece of paper. "Are you Dakota Flynn?"

I nodded and leaned against the cell door. "Yeah, why?"

She gave me a small smile before sticking her hand through the bars. "I'm Valerie Cross, your court appointed attorney."

I stood up straight and shook her hand. "Oh, it's nice to meet you."

She nodded. "Likewise."

She turned to the guard then. "Can we have a moment alone?"

The guard gave her a stern nod before walking off.

Valerie sat down in the guards chair and pulled out a notebook and pen. "Ok, Dakota, why don't you tell me what happened?"

I sat down on the edge of the bed and took in a deep breath. "Well..."

~~~~~~~~~~

I knocked a few times on Holly's front door and after a minute, it opened, revealing her smiling face.

She pulled me into a hug. "Hey, bestie!"

I laughed lightly as I pulled away, holding her at arms length. "Hey, you ready for movie night?"

She nodded. "I have the movies all picked out and the popcorn's already popped."

I smiled and picked up the bag, holding two wine bottles, I got at the liquor store earlier that day. "And, I brought your favorite."

She took the bag from me and let me in before wondering off to the kitchen.

I took my shoes off before getting comfortable on her couch. She returned with two glasses of pink colored wine and a bowl of popcorn, handing a glass to me before sitting down next to me.

She took a sip of her wine. "Mm, good choice."

I nodded as I took a sip of my own. "They don't call me the wine expert for nothing."

She chuckled as she grabbed the remote and pressed play. "I hate to burst your bubble, but no one calls you that."

I laughed and gave her a playful nudge. "No talking in the theatre, please."

She just shook her head and smiled...

Partway through the movie, we heard a knock at the door.

I glanced at her as she paused the movie. "Who's that?"

She gave me a mischievous look. "You'll see."

I watched her walk to the door and open it, a guy about our age stood on the other side. He had short black hair, wearing a ripped up denim jacket and matching jeans.

"Hey, baby." He greeted.

She giggled as he pulled her into a kiss.

I looked away, taking a long sip of my wine.

Holly came bounding back, the new guy in tow.

"Dakota, I want you to meet my new boyfriend, Trevor."

I gave him a small nod and he returned it.

I let out a small sigh as they sat down next to me, Holly un-pausing the movie.

A few movies later, I ended up getting a little to drunk trying to shut them out that I passed out on the couch.

When I woke up, I heard faint whimpers.

I rubbed my eyes as I stood up from the couch. "Holly?"

I looked around the living room, then the kitchen, spotting Holly laying in the middle of the floor, one of her kitchen knives protruding from her chest. A pool of blood laid on the floor beneath her.

I quickly knelt down next to her, tears filling my eyes. "Shit, Holly, what happened? What do I do?" I asked in a panic.

She grabbed my hand, gritting her teeth, blood pushing it's way between them. Her breathing was quick, labored, tears leaking past her eyes.

   Then, those eyes landed on me. Pleading, begging. "Dakota... Help me..."

I let out a whimper. "Hold on, Holly, I'm gonna get this out of you." I said, grabbing hold of the knife.

I started crying harder when she suddenly went limp in my arms.

I rested my head on her shoulder. "Please, Holly... don't go... don't leave me..."

~~~~~~~~~~

"... And then the police showed up and arrested me." I finished with a sniffle, wiping at the fresh tears in my eyes.

Valerie looked up at me, a sad look in her eyes. "I'm sorry that happened to you... but how come there wasn't any mentioning of another person in the report?"

I rolled my eyes. "Because I was drunk and I didn't have any proof so they dismissed it. But he was there and I guarantee he's the one you're looking for... not me..."

She set her pen down. "You're saying, for sure, that this guy did it?"

I sighed, lowering my head with a shake. "I don't know..."

She stood up and walked in front of the cell door. "Listen, if there was another person there, I'll find him."

I looked up at her. "How can you be so sure? And why even believe me..? No one else does."

She looked down. "Because, that's my job. It doesn't matter what I may think personally, I'm here to defend you and prove your innocence."

I lowered my head again. "So, you don't believe me?"

She was silent for a second. "I don't know yet... but I won't rest until we get to the bottom of this, no matter the outcome..."