Chapter 5

"What the hell happened?" Valerie asked, inspecting my bruised face from the other side of the bars.

I lowered my head. "Nothing I can't handle."

She let out a small sigh as she stuck her hand through the cell, resting it on my cheek. "I'm sorry, Dakota."

I looked up into her eyes, the warmth of her hand on my cheek heating up every inch of my body. "It's ok..."

We stayed like that for a long minute before she finally pulled away. "I'll, uh, see what I can do about letting you eat in here, away from any other prisoners."

I flashed her a small smile. "Thanks."

She returned it before grabbing her things and walking out, the older guard rejoining me.

She sat down in her chair, magazine in hand.

I sat down on the bed. "You're not much of a talker, huh?"

"Nope." She replied.

I looked up at her. This is the first time she's replied to anything I've said.

Sadly that was all I was gonna get out of her...

The next couple days passed painfully slow, I still had to eat with everyone else, but that guard from the other day, Teagan, joined me every time, making sure no one started any trouble with me.

It wasn't until that Friday that Valerie joined me again with good news.

"Alright, everything's set, the warden is allowing you to eat all your meals in your cell."

I smiled. "Thank you."

She returned it. "Don't mention it."

I let out a sigh, standing from my bed. "Valerie, I'd be so lost without you here... Ever since you came around, I've felt calmer, more at ease. I was a total wreck when I first got here and-"

She rested her hand on my shoulder then. "Dakota, just relax. Everything's gonna be ok, I promise."

I looked up into her eyes, a feeling of calm washing over me once again. "I believe you..."

She gave me a small smile. "Good, now I have to run, I have a meeting with Benny."

I took a small step back. "Ok... I'll see you later then."

She gave me a wave before exiting the room...

The next day, I found myself being led down a long hallway towards the showers.

Voices rang out from the room as I stepped through the door, the guard escorting me taking her leave.

I lowered my head as I shuffled towards the hangers, gingerly slipping out of my clothes before finding a stall.

I tensed up as the cold water hit my chest, trying my best to shower as quickly as possible.

As the minutes ticked by, I noticed the other voices in the room quiet down until it got eerily silent.

I poked my head out of the stall, noticing everyone else was gone, including the two guards who usually watched over us.

"Hello?" I called out, slowly wrapping a towel around myself.

No reply.

I worriedly made my way towards the middle of the room, not another person in sight.

"Well, don't you look cute." I heard, turning to see the two women from the lunch room standing behind me.

I started to make a beeline for the door when one of them grabbed me, hitting me hard in the back of the head.