23

Chapter 23: Rewriting Fate

Nineteen years of living in New Orleans trained Nala Laveau against this very moment—that and the instinct for danger that seemed to only be gifted to those with melanin. For as long as she'd lived, she'd known to never walk near the chirping edges of forestry that lead to the bayou; home to all kinds of savage creatures. The point was, she was smart and had a self preserving bone in her body that shook the moment she exited the confines of Elena's car.

Trudging into the woods in the dark wasn't Nala's idea of a fun time, even with the security that they weren't actually in a bayou and that she had a whole lineage of ancestors that protected her from the Other Side. Liquid courage was her primary cloak of comfort, sending warmth through her body even though the night chill was brisk.

A small scream escaped her lips and completely voided her false sense of confidence; all over a little spider that she'd quickly flicked off of her. "How much further until we get to the fun part of this little journey?"

Matt laughed, ice blue eyes glassy with pure happiness as the tequila burned under his skin. A hand outstretched for Nala as if he'd known her his whole life, guiding her steps and ensuring she'd reached level ground before letting her go. "I'm sure we're close. I don't remember it being too far."

         "Actually," Elena called, her being the one holding the flashlight, lit the way to expose the dingy crypt. "We're here."

         Stepping ahead, Matt fiddled with the old chains until they slid from their spot and hit the ground with a metallic thud. He pulled the iron door open with a nails on a chalkboard like squeak.  He ushered the teenage girls forward with a intoxicated, lopsided grin, "Ladies first."

          "This is creepy," Bonnie entered wearily, green irises sharp and quick to taking in the cement interior. There were a couple places to sit but the passing thought that dead bodies definitely once resided here at some point, made Bonnie's hair stand on edge.

          "It's not so bad," Elena teases, already setting up a spot to set the cake after gently wiping away some dust. She pulled out an assortment of candles and set them all around on any shelf-like stone she could find—and when she was finished she looked back at her witchy friend with an expectant smile. "Bonnie, a little help?"   

          A deep inhale, two closed eyes and with magic every single candle was lit, illuminating the room in ways that even a lightbulb couldn't achieve.

          Drunken cheers were given in return, the two remaining chilled bottles of tequila were being passed around, each person filling their cup and eagerly drinking more without a second thought.

          Nala stood back a moment, observing simply how they worked, their dynamic. How did this group remain friends since childhood and she couldn't even manage to name one person she could call a friend from home.