5. Uncooked Bannok

hear wind through trees

gentle symphony of pressure, friction

trees tell history of all they see

what a night to watch the stars

raven calls. a friend is near.

uncooked first bannok on the lawn

cooked edges with me and tea

what a night to share the feast

waddle left right left

stripes clear in porch light

'this for me?' feel her ask

about bannok on the grass

yes, friend, fill up.

only hear her munch

trees' whispers set aside

seldom a gift in these days

to be the feasted

skunk getting full

a thank-you with winking

toddle waddle down the good red road

walk a mile in her moccasins. 

Author's Note:

This poem was also inspired by a real event, this time on my own front lawn. I had made my first ever bannok, and I had rolled it too thick to fully cook. I put any cooked parts in a bowl with jam, made a cup of tea, and went onto the porch to stargaze. I'm not sure how long it was I sat before my visitor came to sniff the uncooked bannok I had thrown on the grass as an offering. 

Skunks are frequent visitors in suburbia of the Dish With One Spoon territory where I grew up, however they are quite skittish and untrusting (as they should be). However, I remember feeling a burst of what I can only describe as energy and love when this little female skunk waddled onto my lawn. She paused before she ate and looked up at me, almost asking permission. I think I said out loud, "Go ahead, baby. It's for you." She then ate with me for nearly twenty minutes before she had her tummy full. 

I've had other experiences with Skunk, from one passing happily under my feet on the same porch to having a mother skunk make her den behind my garage. I try to bury any dead skunks I see to let them rest, preferably in the safety of my garden. I have always been taught that Skunk carries the teaching of Respect, alongside Buffalo, so I feel I cannot leave her disrespected on the roads. She is one that you will regret disrespecting, and she's quick with her tail- or with stinking up your car should you hit her. I think that Skunk feels this teaching inside me, from my mother- as I mentioned in the poem Abenaki Silt Dance. I have oftentimes been trusted by Skunk, and I thank her for these beautiful moments of spirit. 

Note: The image with this poem is a drawing by me- I plan on making stickers to go in my shop.