Mayors, Death, and Batmans Choice

~INT. BAT-BUNKER — CONTINUOUS — INTERCUT '

Bruce examines the fingerprint. Alfred: "I'll run it through all the databases and come up with all possibles." Y/n: "Batty?" Y/n stretches as she wakes up from a nap. Bruce: "Hey, Pretty, come on over." Bruce gets up to let Alfred sit. Bruce: "Cross-reference the addresses..." Y/n: "Try police databases as well. Password should be (Random password) for the highest level clearance." Bruce: "Look for Parkside and around." Bruce opens a hydraulic door, revealing a gleaming MV Agusta Brutale. As he moves the bike onto the lift.." Alfred: "Got one. Melvin White, aggravated assault, moved to Arkham twice- 1502 Randolph Apartments, just off State-" Bruce: "Overlooking the parade." Wayne and the bike ride on the lift.

~EXT. PARKS IDE AVENUE — DAY~

The avenue has been blocked off. Onlookers line the sidewalks. Police march past in dress uniform. Engel does stand up on the sidewalk. Engel: "With no word from the Batman- even as they mourn Commissioner Loeb, these cops have to be wondering if the Joker is going to make good on his threat to kill the Mayor today..."

~On the buildings above~

Police Snipers scan the crowd. Gordon keys his radio. Gordon: "How's it looking up top?" Police Sniper: "We're tight. But frankly... there's a lot of windows up here." Gordon looks up at the myriad buildings overlooking the podium.

~EXT. GOTHAM STREETS — CONTINUOUS~

Bruce maneuvers the Ducati through the traffic. He pulls up near a parade barricade- dismounts and slips into an alley.

~INT. TENEMENT — CONTINUOUS~

Some of the building's hard-luck TENANTS eye Wayne as he counts doors down the hallway. He finds 1502...

~EXT. PARKSIDE AVENUE — LATER~

A sea of police fills the Avenue. In the center, three grieving families and an HONOR GUARD. The Mayor at the podium. Gordon behind. Dent is seated with Rachel. THE Mayor: "...and as we recognize the sacrifice of these officers, we must remember that vigilance is the price of safety."

~INT. TENEMENT — CONTINUOUS~

Bruce enters eight men in undershirts, bound, gagged, blindfolded. A sniper scopes on a tripod at the window. Wayne moves to the first man, RIPS the tape from his mouth. Man: *breathing hard* "Took . . . they took our guns, our uniforms..."

~EXT. PARKSIDE AVENUE — CONTINUOUS~

Gordon scans the crowd. The Mayor wraps up the Honor Guard steps forward, raises weapons...

~EXT. ROOFTOP OVERLOOKING PARKSIDE — CONTINUOUS ~

A police sniper scans the windows of the tenement...

~INT. TENEMENT — CONTINUOUS~

Wayne races to the window, and looks through the scope to see:

~EXT. STATE STREET — CONTINUOUS~

The honor guard turns their weapons on the Mayor. One smiles, flesh-colored makeup over his scars. Joker. Gordon leaps forward- they fire- Gordon takes shots to the back as he slams the Mayor to the ground-

~EXT. ROOFTOP OVERLOOKING PARKSIDE — CONTINUOUS~

The Police Sniper spots Bruce at the window- SHOOTS-

~INT. TENEMENT — CONTINUOUS~

Wayne ducks as shots erupt around the window-