Chapter 54

"... you're saying?" Vikram, Rinisha's father asked as Shaurya was speaking to him.

"... talking about Rakshit's marriage," Shaurya huffed.

Since he had arrived to drop a bomb on Rinisha's family regarding to Rakshit's marriage, he got nothing, but a casual response from Mr. Vikram who had a poker face, partially hearing Shaurya.

"Oh! I zoned out." Vikram said nonchalantly. He had no time for Shaurya who's expecting a hand to break the marriage. "When was the date again?" He asked as if he had nothing else to speak.

"Did you hear me well? Or...? Shaurya gritted his teeth. He believed this old man would help him to stop the dream wedding of Rakshit. Seeing Vikram's cold shoulder, Shaurya couldn't help but blame himself for coming to this unfriendly man. He should have found a way for himself.

"Of course, I did." Vikram had a look at Shaurya, giving his full attention.

"Seems like it doesn't affect you," Shaurya muttered. He could read on his face. There must have been a reason, he thought.

"Yeah, because it doesn't affect me as you have imagined in your mind before coming here, right?" Vikram insinuated Shaurya's selfish motives behind this. Though both of them were promised, and working on Rakshit-Rinisha marriage, Mr. Vikram still did not get what Shaurya actually wanted.

"I am glad at least you know what reaction I expect from you. Shouldn't you feel angry about this? Why? What happened? Why are you playing cool?" Shaurya fell silent for a minute as he was pondering over something. "Did I miss anything?" He broke the silence, voicing out his thoughts.

"I don't think so," Vikram brushed off his doubt. But he couldn't escape from Shaurya's gawking, he smiled for his own benefit and was speaking, "It's just that my daughter doesn't want him anymore. That's it." He tried to make it closure on this chapter, but how wrong he was about judging Shaurya. Did he think Shaurya would buy his goods for no reason?

"You know what, I'm pretty good at finding lies." Shaurya could bet on what the older man was telling.

"Because you are quite expert at doing it?" Vikram countered back.

"Mr. Vikram!" Shaurya slammed his palm on the dark wooden desk.

"Shaurya, I know how bad you are. You want to destroy Rakshit and betray him which you've been doing for years. I don't know what's your real intention behind all this. And I simply don't care about it. But I understood one thing, you need someone around you or be with you to break him. Because you want to be a good as well as a shadow in this game, am I right?"

Shaurya had lost all the blood from his face as Vikram slowly unveiled his truth. He rubbed his fingers on his forehead as he was thinking, how to ease this forming tension.

"Okay, leave it. Now come to the point, why are you not reacting to his marriage? You forgot? You're stubborn to get him to tie the knot with your daughter? What happened now?" Shaurya asked suddenly. He flipped over it, as if no conversation had happened early.

Vikram smiled, understanding Shaurya did not want to speak about it further, neither he did. "No, I didn't forget it. And yeah, I was way too stubborn to accept the fact. Because it hurt my ego back then, now I get over it. So I have no problem with his marriage or whatever he's up to." He gave another believable reason, or what he thought.

"Why do I feel you are hiding something from me?" Shaurya was not a person who let something go easily until he found out what it was.

"Hiding? Why would I? If you want to ask me something, I will tell you directly." Vikram agreed.