11: Sneaking Off Now, Aren't You?

Rover

Most people at Hummingbird Peak didn't go out at night even if it was for an important reason.

When I left Top Wing Academy that night, it was peaceful. It was one thing to see how calm everything was through the window, but being there? I felt like I had the whole island to myself.

The area where the academy was located - there were no dodo birds in this area. Dodo birds lived in the forests and came out at night, but they usually just stayed around in that area. They rarely ever came to the mountainy side of the island. So it couldn't be that dangerous.

Now I know that, after what happened a few years ago, I wouldn't dare be so careless again, and I can assure you that I am not. Trust me, there are birds who actually go out at night just because they're not allowed to, and that was not me. And it wasn't every night I snuck out of headquarters like this anyway.

I had a reason.

Earlier today, Argus and Helen, our Top Wing instructors, had given an announcement. An announcement that, after the incident with Robin, was... let's just say, it was a remarkable thing to hear. Because I don't know how else to describe it.

We were assigned a new mission. A non-emergency mission, which involved getting rid of the dodo birds from the island for good.

It was a big mission, considering how big of a problem those cannibals have been around here. Come to think of it, a mission like this was something that sounds like it would run in such a place, though I wouldn't have expected to be part of it.

I joined Top Wing three years ago, and so had my fellow cadets Ivy and River. According to Argus and Helen, the mission to end the dodo birds had been planned over the last two decades or so among the past Top Wing cadets, and we happened to be around at the same time the mission was prepared.

So, lucky me, I guess.

The road was empty. I walked towards the more dangerous side of the island. Not because I wanted to run into the dodos again (why would I?) but to meet my Mother, who lived close to that area, with my three remaining siblings.

As I neared my Mother's house - my house, - I picked up my pace and flew above ground. Up here, I was at least safe from the dodo birds.

I flew until I reached a certain tree that was home to my family. Then I knocked.

A/N: I'm imagining woodpeckers in construction helmets making apartments on trees
~~~

"Rover?" My mother gasped when she saw me, and quickly let me in and shut the door because, you know, night time. "Why are you out at this time? You know it's dangerous!"

"I know..." I mumbled, looking at my feet.

"Does Argus know you're here?"

"...no."

"Sneaking off now, aren't you?" She said. I didn't need to worry about her scolding me for doing that, because I never snuck out like that. And besides, I was too good a child to get myself into a troublesome situation.

By now, my Mother sensed that something was going on. I wouldn't sneak out of headquarters for no reason. (Unlike Ivy, who would go challenging with Tina from the racers' team at any time of day or night... those two were also the craziest rivals I'd ever seen, but that's off the topic.)

"Something's wrong, huh?" Mom asked.

"Yeah," I replied. "Wrong would be an understatement."

"I'll go get some tea, and then we'll talk. It's been a while since you've come to visit, we'll have a lot to catch up on."