Chapter 10

POV: Chad Headings

"She's available when I say she's available! Do you understand me?" I said angrily into the phone.

"Yes, but-"

"No! She's my best girl! You can have her time when I say you can have her time! It's 1:00 AM, or nothing! Your choice!"

"Fine. I'll be there. How much?"

"$600 an hour."

"What?! $600? What happened to $350?"

"Like I said, she's my best girl. Take it or leave it."

"Fine. I'll have it. Dammit. I'll be there. Oh, and how much for two ounces of Coke?"

"$100."

"Dammit . . . $50?"

"$100. That's it."

"Alright. Fine. I'll have it. I'll be there."

"Yes. Good doing business with you. I'll see you soon."

"Okay."

"Wait. If I find out that you came here with anything less than $700, let's just say it won't be a happy ending for you." I heard him gulp and I quickly hung up the phone.

Brilliant. I made almost double my quota for today. Business has been good for me. I've been more successful ever since I got a hold of Liberty-Bell. She's been um . . . very good for business. She's my best girl. Definitely.

You see, I took Liberty-Bell in when she was seven years old. I found her walking the streets in the pouring rain in the middle of the night. I really was genuinely concerned. I remember it like yesterday.

*****Flashback*****

"You know what, Justin? Fuck you! You don't play by my rules, you don't play at all. You double crossed me. Trust me when I tell you that you will have to live every single day looking over your shoulder, behind your back, making sure no one is following you. Because I'll be there. I'll be watching. And I'll get my revenge. And you won't know when."

I ended the call.

I was driving down Hamilton Road, on my way home after a long days work. It was late, about midnight, and was raining heavily. My headlights had just managed to catch the sight of something on the side of this road. It was a flash of pale white and blue. I stopped the car immediately. I backed up a little ways and got out of the car. I walked to where I thought I saw whatever I did. What I saw shocked me.

There was a little girl, soaking wet and shivering cold, curled in a ball on the puddling grass. I walked up to her and checked if she was conscious.

She wasn't.

I checked for a pulse. It was very weak. She was barely breathing. She was freezing cold. She had a tint of blue to her fingers and nose.

She was dying.

I immediately went to the car and dialed 911. I ran back over to this little girl to assess her.

"Hello, 911 what's your emergency?" The operator asked.

"Yes. There's a little girl on the side of the road! She's having a hard time breathing! She has a weak pulse! She's unconscious! I need an ambulance! And possibly and AED!" I had to shout over the downpour. I could barely hear myself.

"Alright. Where are you, Sir?"

"On the South Side of Hamilton Road!"

"Alright. I've notified them. They're on there way right now. Just stay tight. Alright?"