Chapter VII

Cassiopeia,

I never thought of all children, it would be you to betray the family as you have. Meandering with such low-brow people, bringing shame and dirt upon this pristine family. You have become a disappointment in the eyes of your father and me. Your horrid betrayal has lined up with the things Severus and your betrothed told us about through the weeks.

The Dark Lord has never felt the hurt you have now caused. The entire image of our family is being tainted, all because you have become a mudblood loving whore, just as your sister. You were going to be the greatest heir to ever grace the Black family name. I hope you understand the severity of your betrayal, but I suppose I will make it clear. Seeing as your gaze has now been tainted with lycanthrope half-blood germs.

You are more of a disappointment than your disenfranchised cousin. You were meant to be the greatest. You were my everything, my light, my shining star. Cassiopeia Black would have been the name on everyone's lips as they coward in fear when you left the house. Was my love not enough for you? I just wanted you to be the best you could be and finally live up to the potential that I know you're capable of. The Dark Lord wishes death upon you. He wants you buried with the house elves.

Haven't you any idea of what you have caused? You had everything you needed in life, why must you do this? You were set to marry a great man, live a life of comfort and prestige. And yet you chose to disgrace us all. Your sisters are hurt, Cassiopeia, by your horrid actions.

You are never welcome to our home ever again. You no longer have an inheritance. You are no longer a Black.

Farewell, child.

- Druella Black

-----

Cassiopeia sniffled while adjusting her seat in the large bed of her dorm. She had received the letter three days ago, and it had barely been 24 hours since she had opened it within the Shrieking Shack. Remus had wandered in on her, and it did not take a genius for him to understand the severity of the situation. She could barely face the world after the shame of her family became an everlasting phantom that would follow her around.

Despite her mother's cruelties, Cassie was no doubt closest with the woman. Whenever she was sick, Druella Black would conjure up a warm soup that would leave Cassie drowsy enough to sleep off the illness. When she was a child, her mother would take her to the tailors and show her all the beautiful dresses that she would one day wear. Whenever Cygnus was nowhere to be found, Cassie would see her mother weeping and would climb into bed and curl into her side.

Bellatrix was a madwoman, but she and Cassie used to run around the manor and play tag until neither could feel their feet. The eldest child would braid the youngest's hair and twist it into beautiful and eccentric designs that made Cassie feel like royalty. It was only when Cassiopeia hit maturity and the Dark Lord took a liking to her when the divide between the two sisters began to open like a canyon.

Narcissa, just as Cassie, was a victim to the comfort the family offered. The girl was meek in a way that kept her away from confrontation, never sharing what it was that was burdening her. Narcissa and Cassie were arguably the most distant sisters, but not in a way that was estrangement. They would giggle and whisper about the gossip within Hogwarts and would sneak around and eavesdrop on their aunt and uncle's arguments. She, Narcissa, and Regulus would spend nights on end telling stories and creating fantastical worlds they wished to escape into and avoid responsibilities.

Cygnus was a monster. But he was her father, and there were times when it appeared he was glad she was a little girl. He would help her pick out the dresses she'd wear to the various galas and balls he would host. He used to tell her stories when she was a child. When she began to mature, and Voldemort became involved was when Cygnus stopped being a father. He no longer struggled to brush her hair or tuck her in at night. He became more violent than when she was a child. Instead of the smacks across the face she would receive, he would lay bruising punches that left Cassie immobile and swollen.