Chapter 4: The Afton Blueprints

I ran my hand over the box. It was covered in dust from sitting up there for so long. I took a deep breath and grabbed it. Tucking it under my arm, I turned and went back towards the elevator. Soon enough, I made my way down.

HandUnit: Welcome back to your last day on the job. That is, the last day of your first week. Some of the most valued qualities that we like to see in new employees are determination, fearlessness, and a genuine disregard for instinctive self-preservation. You've earned your one week bonus which will be given to you in the form of a delightful gift basket, the cost of which will be taken out of your next paycheck. We have gift baskets containing fruit, nuts, flowers, and of course, the ever-popular cash basket. Using the keypad below, please enter the first few letters of the gift basket you would like to receive.

Shut up, I don't care.

HandUnit: It seems you had some trouble with the keypad. I see what you were trying to type, and I will autocorrect it for you. Thank you for selecting Exotic Butters.

HandUnit: Please be aware that there are still two technicians on site today. Try to avoid interfering with their work, if possible. Also, feel free to ask them why they are still there, and encourage them to go home.

Yada yada, whatever, I've got more important things to do.

HandUnit: Let's check on Ballora, and make sure she's on her stage.

I pressed the light and saw the shadow of a hanged man over Ballora's stage.
"JESUS CHRIST, I WAS GONE FOR FOUR HOURS!!!"

HandUnit: Great. Now, let's check on Funtime Foxy.

i tapped the button and same thing.

HandUnit: Great. It looks like everything is as it should be in Funtime Auditorium. Your task today will involve more maintenance work. Circus Baby had a rough day, and is in need of repair. You will be required to reach the Parts & Service room by once again sneaking through Funtime Auditorium. As always, please proceed with caution.

I quickly made my way across the auditorium. Something felt... off.

HandUnit: Great job reaching Parts & Service. Circus Baby has been deactivated for an unknown reason. It's your job to make sure she's structurally stable and secured to the conveyor. Our technicians will take it from ther-

Baby: Can you hear me? I'm pretending. Remember how I said I could pretend? The cameras are watching. I must be careful not to move. Something bad happened yesterday. Something bad always happens. I don't want it to happen again. There is something bad... inside of me! I'm broken. I can't be fixed. I'm going to be taken to the scooping room soon, but it's not going to fix what's wrong with me. What is bad is always left behind. Will you help me? I want you to save what is good, so the rest can be destroyed and never recovered. But you must be careful. Ballora is here. In the room, with us. Ballora will not return to her stage. Ballora will not return to her body. You must be careful. You must remain calm, and listen to my voice.

Baby: There is a button on my cheek. You must find it and press it.

I pressed it hesitantly.

Baby: There is a passcode that you must enter before you can retrieve me. Enter the code carefully. 1. 2. 1. 4. 7. 5. 8. 2. 3. 7. Good. A hatch should have opened. Take the card that you find inside.

I grabbed the card and put it in my shirt pocket.

Baby: Now you must turn back. I will guide you through Funtime Auditorium so you can reach the scooping room. When you are there, I want you to destroy this body. Put the card into your handheld device, and I can continue to speak to you. Now, press the green button to your left. This will send me to the scooping room.