Chapter 2: Workplace routine

I stepped into the elevator once again. And listened to the music as it began to descend downwards.

HandUnit: Welcome back to another night of intellectual stimulation, pivotal career choices, and self-reflection on past mistakes. We're committed to creating a unique and fulfilling work experience. One part of that commitment is ensuring that you don't get tired of the voice that you're hearing right now. Using the keypad below, please select a new companion voice. For male, press 1. For female, press 2. For text only, press 3. For other options, press 4.

"What? Why would i even need to-" I was cut off by the voice.

HandUnit: It seems that you had some trouble with the keypad. I see what you were trying to type, and I will autocorrect it for you. Thank you for choosing Angsty Teen.

My eyes went wide.
'Oh no no no no no, You better not-"

Angsty teen: The elevator's stopped. You know the routine. Get out now, or whatever. Stay here if you want.

"UGH, God damn it." I mumble as i climb into the vent and begin working my way towards the main control module once again.

Angsty teen: So, funny story, a dead body was found in this vent once. M'kay, so, not that funny, but, it's a story.

'Gee thanks, that really eases my mind' I thought while climbing out of the vent.

Angsty teen: Alright, so, let's start with your nightly chores. You should check on Ballora, and make sure she's on her stage, but, whatever.

I once agin press the button, With the light revealing that Ballora was not on her stage but instead right outside the window, staring at me.

"GAH! JESUS!" i yell falling backwards.

Angsty teen: Huh. I guess Ballora has better things to do. Let's zap her! That should be fun.

"How about let's not? yeah?" I got no reply from the voice.
"*sigh*, Sorry about this in advance Ballora."
I press the button, hearing that staticky electric crackle. Once i checked the light Ballora was back on stage.

Angsty teen: Let's check on Funtime Foxy, make sure he's ready for showtime tomorrow.

I pressed the light button, and surprise, surprise, guess who was standing at the window ominously.
"Jesus Christ."

Angsty teen (deep): Great... Great... Great...

HandUnit: There seems to have been a problem with the voice synthesizer. Default settings have been restored. Please proceed through the vent ahead of you to Circus Baby's Auditorium.

I did as instructed and crawled through the vent, albeit reluctantly. Considering what i did last time i was in here.

HandUnit: Circus Baby had a busy day today. Let's check the light and make sure she's in proper working order.

I pressed the light button and sure enough, Circus Baby wasn't on stage.

HandUnit: Oh, Circus Baby! We aren't here to play hide and seek. Let's encourage Baby to come out of hiding with a controlled shock.

"How about no? Since i broke the damn button during my blind rage last night."
But the voice remained silent, I sighed and pressed the broken button. There was a faint dead hum, and that was it.

HandUnit: Let's try another controlled shock.

I pressed the button again, same results.

HandUnit: There seems to be a power malfunction that is affecting our ability to properly motivate Baby. Please stand by while I reboot the system. I will be offline momentarily during this process. Various other systems may be offline as well, such as security doors, vent locks, and oxygen. Commencing system restart.