⭒ 𝐀𝐥𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐄𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠: 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋 ➵

Symbolisms/facts and another Alternate Ending at the end!

Here is the alternate ending to the book. Warning, this is more of a sad ending, and I personally consider this just a "what-if" scenario — but if you want to think of it as the true ending, go ahead!

If I were to rename this book, I would likely call it "Cardinal", so we'll put that as this title.

* *

*                    ❆                    *

CARDINAL

My eyelids slowly fluttered open, vague memories of seemingly doing so moments before hitting me.

        My gaze fell, finding myself rested comfortably against a familiar blue sofa. My vision then turned ahead to a wide window. Through its reflection, I could glimpse the multi-colored lights of the Christmas tree somewhere behind me.

Brain still fuzzy with a strange mist, I lethargically began to move my hand — only to feel a breeze rush past it. My eyes turned downwards.

A hand.

Dangling right beside my own.

I blinked, mind still moving sluggishly as my eyes traveled along his arm, up his neck, and finally to his closed eyes. His blue mask was clean and in its normal position, and for a moment I felt panic, he needs it for his wound. But then I saw the edge of white bandages on the back of his head, placed over where the injury was.

Donnie.

My gaze fell back down to my eldest brother's plastron. I felt my hand jerk away from his when I saw the steady rise and fall of it.

Life.

My head felt strangely heavy. Not tired. Just heavy. Yet weightless. Almost on its own it lolled back to facing forward, my eyes now staring ahead out the window. In the reflection, I could now vaguely make out Leo's sleeping form from where he lay on the chair behind me; my own head too far down to be seen.

You aren't dead.

He breathed in softly. Rise.

I didn't kill you.

He exhaled. Fall.

A long, lovely sigh was released from my mouth like a bird song. With it, my shoulders untensed for what felt like the first time in a day. Seventeen years, actually.