1 | Christmas Eve

OLD VERSION

Chapter One

"Hey Mike, wanna go skate on the ice with us?"

The orange asked turtle's head rolled back against the pillow as he looked away from the TV, baby blue eyes bulging out of his head as they landed on Casey. Ice skating? Ice skating?! He had never gotten the chance to ice skate before, at least other then on small patches on the rooftops back in New York!

With a deafening squeal, he flashed past Casey and spent their human friend spinning in circles, thumping into the wall and groaning. Several minutes later, the group was skating across a large expanse of ice that had settled alongside the barn that was used for Donnie's testing and inventions.

Everyone was laughing or taking part in some sort of sport, enjoying the crisp air of Christmas Eve, the anticipation for the next morning keeping them up and on their feet as the sun began to just barely touch the horizon. Mikey didn't even bother covering up his childish excitement and and fooled around without a care in the world, lifting his foot and gracefully twirling on the ice right past Raph, who watched the expert move with disbelief.

Mikey suddenly perked up and let out an "Aha!" of excitement, sliding over to the oldest of the brothers (though, personally, Mikey saw himself as the oldest — ha! if only his brothers knew how many times he had gone to other dimensions without them!).

"Hey Leooooo!" He sang, skating in circles around him.

"Yes, Mikey?" The now slightly dizzy leader questioned, crossing his arms as he twisted his head and watched him with faint amusement.

"Welllll..." Mikey started, drawling out the words. He suddenly fell to his knees, thumping against the ice and pressing his hands together. "PLEASE let me go into the woods!" He begged. Excitement sparked in his eyes as he thought of looking for winter critters and maybe even some mutants!

"Hmmmm... Well, it's going to be dark in the next half hour. What if you get lost again?" The leader asked, eyeing his little brother warily.

Mikey jumped up, dramatically waving his hands in the air. "It's just a quick walk, and I've got my T-phone — see!!!" He exclaimed, shoving the latest version of Donnie's invention into Leo's face. He jerked back to avoid being thunked on the nose with it.

"Well, fine." Leo sighed, a smirk slowly creeping onto his face. Mikey started to do a victory dance, but froze when he heard the leaders next words. "But only if I come with you."

"BUT-"

"No but's, Mikey. Don't worry, I won't slow you down..." Leo laughed, bemused. Was he really that boring? Or was there something Mikey wasn't saying? What if he found another mutant and was feeding it peppermints.. Again..

Mikey was disappointed, and felt agitation begin to boil in his stomach, but quickly decided not to damper the happy spirits. His pout faded away as he sighed, and a moment later, he grabbed Leo's arm and almost dragging him to the edge of the ice, much to the leader's surprise.

"Hey, where are you two going?" Donnie called, looking away from where he had been talking to April and Casey. He took a step toward them, wondering if the leader had said something they had missed.

Mikey whipped back, waving his hands quickly back and forth, "Just a quick walk in the woods! No need for everyone to follow after us! Nothing adventurous going on at all!" His eyes were closed as he beamed nervously, grabbing Leo's arm and dragging him toward the snowy forest. Gosh, if everyone came, the forest would shake with noise!

"Well hurry back from your boring, non adventurous adventure, or Casey will finish all the hot chocolate." April's eyebrows raised as she looked back at her classmate, who angrily crossed his arms.

"I told you that was Donnie! I saw him do it!"

The scientist leapt up in alarm, a sneer growing on his face. "Not true! You're the one who spilled it all over my computer and Dr. Cluckingsworth!"

        "And said crime scene just so happens to be where you spend all of your time, hmmmmmm?"

        "Why you- you planned to do it, didn't you-!"

As they continued to argue, an even more curious Leo and a bouncing Mikey took this as a chance to leave, and entered the nearby woods. They walked in silence through the snowy trees, Mikey tirelessly pointing out random things. They eventually merged onto a nearly covered trail next to a deep creek that was somehow still flowing with water.

Suddenly becoming bored out of his mind, not having spotted any sign of life, Mikey perked up, pointing to the sky.

"Hey Leo, look! There's a flying rabbit!" He gasped. Confused, Leo looked up, only to sigh and shake his head as Mikey burst into a fit of laughter.

Mikey plopped down next to the creek, shivering as he poked a finger into the water. "Brrrrrr, it's cold!" He gasped, scooting backwards.

Leo raised his eye ridges. "It's the middle of winter, Mikey. Of course the water will be cold." He pointed out, and Mikey just rolled his eyes, not responding. He wrapped his arms around his knees, staring at the creek, deep in thought as he watched the water move.

Leo sat down next to his orange masked brother, casting glances at him out of the the corner of his eye. Finally, he decided to speak up.

"Why did you want to take a walk in the woods by yourself, Mikey?"

A/N;
Sorry if that sounds like an abrupt ending, I just accidently put a little of the next chapter into this one so... Anyways, I hoped you liked it and please stay tuned for more and vote/comment your opinions!