Chapter Sixteen: [untitled]

Liu Ink was just as I remembered it. The black storefront with the large slanted white font sprawled along the top of the window hadn't changed in the past year. Inside, I could see the reception area clearly. There was no one sat on the two worn red leather sofas, but Roman was there, slouched behind the counter with his feet up on the desk. Jun leant against it, head turned, speaking to him with a grin as she pointed to whatever was on the computer screen in front of them.

"Thanks for walking with me," I said to Markus, my voice tight. There was a strange, constricting feeling in my chest as I observed them from outside. But it was dark and cold out here, and the warm light seeping out of the building beckoned me inside, despite my apprehension.

"You gonna' be at the gym tomorrow?" Markus asked, just as his hand brushed against my elbow.

Startled, I tore my eyes away from the tattoo studio to find Markus watching me with something like concern in his expression. He looked oddly cute with the hood of a navy hoodie pulled up over his head, just a hint of his hair peaking out, and his cheeks tinged with pink from the cold.

"Yeah. It's Wednesday, right? I'll be there after work."

He nodded, attention darting to inside the studio before settling back on me. "We'll go through some take downs. Things you can get out of."

"Sick. Cool." I nodded, swallowing against a lump that had formed. "Okay, see you then."

"Right." He didn't move, and for a moment I wondered if I was forgetting something or if, horrifyingly, I was meant to hug him goodbye. "You good?"

"Huh? Yeah, yeah, I'm good," I assured him, smiling sheepishly. Why am I even hesitating to go inside? I'm being stupid.

"Okay. Good." Markus smiled back at me. It was warm and filled me with a sense of reassurance. "See you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow."

With an awkward, half-arsed wave, I stepped away and into the studio. The bell by the door rang, announcing my arrival. Immediately, I had the attention of both Roman and Jun.

"Daisy!" Roman grinned, as energetic as always.

"Did you walk here?" Jun asked without greeting me, stepping out from behind the counter. She crossed her arms against her chest, a scowl set across her mouth. "It's too dark to be out by yourself around here."

It was quiet inside. Led Zeppelin played from a speaker in Daksha's booth at the back of the studio, but the perpetually tired twenty-five-year-old was nowhere to be seen. There were no customers, and most of the girls and Quinn were absent. Still, my eyes watered a bit at the familiarity. Jun, in all black, wearing her ratty black slippers she'd had since long before we'd met, chastising me about my safety was something I hadn't realised I'd missed until now.

Waving her off, I took a seat beside Roman, mirroring him as I leant back in the expensive rolling chair, crossed my legs at the ankle and placed them on the desk. "Someone walked me over. It's fine."

It was strange to be back here, but more so because it felt like I hadn't left at all. I had sat behind this desk and listened to Daksha's rock music many times in the past. The only thing missing was the others - wherever they were. And the only thing new was Roman.

"Someone?" Jun asked. At the same time Roman turned to me with a growing smirk. His elbow dug into my side playfully.

"Markus?" Roman asked, too perceptively. "Did you enjoy my little gift?"

With a huff, I turned my head towards him slightly, and snapped under my breath, "You're a little bastard-boy, you know that?"

Apparently, I wasn't quiet enough, though. Jun heard me anyway and tapped one fingernail against the desk as she leant closer. "What has my apprentice done now?"