Chapter Twenty-Three: The Horror That Is Socialising

"I don't understand why you want to work here," Markus sighed, rubbing his eyes with the heels of his hands. "Why didn't you talk to me about this before I left for work this morning?"

Bisto rolled around the floor of the office between my outstretched legs, attacking some frayed rope that she'd found under the desk. She held it between her paws as her sharp, needle-like puppy teeth gnawed on the knot I had tied in it. If Dev hadn't already gone home, I'm sure he'd throw a fit.

Markus, sat behind the disorganised desk, had paid very little attention to us until now as he sorted through papers. And he had completely ignored Lynch, who'd been sitting on the corner of the desk for the past fifteen minutes of his lunch break, rudely playing TikTok out loud on his phone, despite the fact that Markus had been trying to work.

"Hold up," Lynch interjected. He gestured between the two of us, a coy smile lighting up his face. "Late night booty call? You started at seven this morning. Did you spend the night together?"

Both Markus and I completely ignored Lynch. "It was an impulsive decision. I didn't know this morning that I was going to ask Dev for a job. And I told you, I really hate the cafe." Not a lie. Every additional day I spent at the cafe had my depression worsening just a little more. I had grown too comfortable there, and the monotonous nature of the job had me wanting to peel my own face off just for something interesting to do.

"What about University?" Markus asked, not seeming happy with my answer.

I waved him off. "It's just a temp job. Besides, the second year isn't that important. I can get by on Roman's notes, as long as I still attend my personal tutor sessions."

Markus still looked displeased.

"Do you not want me to work here?" I asked, firmly. "I don't want to make you uncomfortable, but I really do want this job."

Markus scoffed. "Don't be stupid. Why would it make me uncomfortable?"

"I'm not being stupid," I huffed. "I'm trying to be considerate, seen as you seem very fucking unenthusiastic about me working here."

Lynch clear his throat. "Should I leave?"

"Yes." Markus and I both responded without hesitation. Unsurprisingly, Lynch didn't move.

Finally, Markus explained, "I don't care if you work here. Dev hired you. That's the end of it. Stop stressing about irrelevant shit."

"Well then. Okay."

Silence settled between us for all of five minutes as Markus returned to his work and I continued to play with Bisto before Lynch unlocked his phone and he subjected us once again to Tiktok.

"You coming to Roman's tonight, Daisy?" Lynch asked, without looking up. He swiped up the screen, and another video played with an obnoxious background music. I wanted to snatch the phone out of his hands or shove a pair of earphones deep into his fucking ears.

"What's tonight?"

"Bonfire night," he murmured. Again, he swiped up the screen of his phone and another annoying video played. How Markus hadn't smacked him yet was a wonder to me. If only I wasn't too lazy to get up. If only there was something for me to throw at him.

Bisto, baby, get ready to be launched.

"Yeah, I'm gonna' need more information than that."

"Roman's place," Lynch added, which only slightly satiated my curiosity. When I made plans, I liked to plan them down to the last detail.

"Right. I wasn't invited."

Lynch rolled his eyes and shoved his phone in front of my face. My squinted eyes quickly focussed on the open WhatsApp conversation.