Chapter Twenty-Five: Self Care Is Overrated

I felt like death.

For the past week I'd woken up at five in the morning for my trial shifts at the gym. Dev had walked me through all my responsibilities and the health and safety protocols, and I'd work until 11.30am before heading to the café for my usual shifts at 12pm. Then, I'd go back to the gym for my training sessions, followed by the University library to try (and fail) to get some more work done. I hadn't come home until after 11pm most days, and just the thought of waking up at five again for another 6am shift was painful. Thankfully, as I'd already handed in my one week notice at the café, today would be my last shift there.

Despite how exhausted I felt, I didn't for a second regret what I was doing. Working for the gym, so far, was far less taxing than café work. Random strangers hadn't shouted at me yet, and I didn't have to stand on my feet for hours at a time, or burn myself while making people their drinks. The most I had to do was walk someone new around the gym if they were thinking of signing up, and that was only if no one else was available. The most physical work I'd had to do was clean the women's changing room when there'd been no other women on shift. Beyond that, it was easy work; and there was the added benefit of getting to see Markus throughout the day, of course.

"You look like shit," Lynch said as he passed reception on the way to his first smoke break of the day, diverting my attention away from the blurred screen of the computer. I blinked up at him, taking a second longer than I should to process the fact that he had been speaking to me, let alone understand what he had said.

"What a lovely greeting," I said dryly, my voice hoarse. When was the last time I drank anything?

I'd had a coffee this morning. No, wait, two coffees. No wonder I was feeling so jittery. I need to buy a new water bottle to stay hydrated, and I needed to remember to wash this one. God, I had so much washing to do at home. I was quickly running out of clean clothes. I hope I didn't smell bad. I forgot to shower this morning.

Lynch's water bottle thudded on the top of the desk. He leant against his forearms and narrowed his eyes at me, scrutinising me with too much focus. "What's up with you?"

"Tired," I said through a poorly stifled yawn.

"How much sleep did you get last night? You look like you're about to pass out."

"I was up doing uni work."

His eyebrows raised in surprise. "Weren't you in at six this morning?"

"Yeah," I signed, resting my head in my hand as I looked up at him. I could barely keep my eyes open. "I'm an idiot, I know."

Lynch hummed and stood up straighter. He nodded towards the main door as he asked, "You need a breather, or something? Want to step outside with me for five?"

Following his gaze to the street outside, it took longer than it should have for me to respond. It felt like my brain was literally melting. "I'm good, thanks."

Lynch hummed again, and looked somewhat annoyed as he headed for the door, a cigarette in hand and his water bottle forgotten on the desk. "Okay. Maybe you should have a power nap on your break. Or get a coffee."

I nodded. "Will do." If I have another coffee, I might be sick.

The rest of my shift continued in the same fashion. I greeted customers with a false enthusiasm that was perhaps not as bright or welcoming as it had been at the beginning of the week. I answered the phones and struggled to use the booking system on the computer to schedule people in for classes with the weird fog that had my brain functioning about 80% less effective than usual.

The gym offered far more than I was previously aware of. Not only were there Lynch's spin classes, and Markus' martial arts activities for kids, but about a dozen more group work outs and training programs for gym members, all of which had many attendees. Plus, so many people used the facilities in the early morning as soon as my shift began that there was always enough work to keep me busy. Something I really struggled with today.