Chapter Twelve: Blind Date

It had been a week since I last saw Markus. True to Dev's word, he'd not been into work at all. I hadn't asked why, afraid to reveal any sort of interest in him in case Dev got the wrong (right) idea.

It wasn't until the following Monday, after I'd finished training, and spent an hour in the changing room showering and getting dressed, that I saw Markus - and the rest of the guys. All three of his friends were standing in the gym's reception while Markus was behind the front desk speaking to a young guy I hadn't seen before who, frankly, looked a little bored by whatever it was Markus was saying.

Lynch was the first to notice me as I emerged from the women's changing rooms, drawing my focus before I could stare at Markus for too long.

"Holy shit!" he swore, letting out a low, drawn out whistle as his eyes scanned me. From the corner of my eye, I saw Markus straighten and turn towards us.

None of them looked as if they were here to train - or work. There wasn't a single pair of trainers in sight. They all wore jeans, barring Andres, who looked ridiculously smart in a pair of dark grey check trousers. Alec wore a black button-down shirt that had a large white geometric repeat pattern; the short-sleeved material hugged his slim figure nicely, and the monochrome colour drew focus to two sleeves of colourful tattoos that I had yet to see before now. Lynch, in dark jeans and a white t-shirt with an unbuttoned grey shirt over the top, had even styled his hair.

My steps slowed, and my heart clenched as soon as all four pairs of eyes fell my way. It had been ten days since I'd encountered any of Markus' friends. I hadn't expected to see them, and I sure as hell hadn't expected them to talk to me as if nothing had happened.

"What?" I asked tersely, tugging on the bottom of my dress, and shifted uncomfortably on my feet. I'd left my backpack and the rest of my belongings in a locker, and I felt a little bare without them.

"What are you wearing?"

"A dress? Heels?" I answered with a raised brow. Lifting one of my feet ever so slightly to angle the black square heels towards Lynch. Markus frowned at my outfit.

Well, that's a confidence boost.

The dress was a little more revealing than I was comfortable with. It was something I had bought over two years ago and had subsequently spent two years shoved to the back of my wardrobe. I'd never had the occasion to wear it before now, but Sarah had all but forced me to pack the dress for my date tonight. It was a plain black material - which would be boring if not for the fact that it left my entire back exposed with nothing more than a few strings to keep it attached. And while the dress came to just above my knee, there was a huge slit up one side that revealed almost the entirety of my thigh tattoo. The only jewellery I wore was a simple gold chain that I never took off, and a handful of gold studs that lined my ears.

"Oh, really?" Lynched said sarcastically, "I never would have guessed. I meant why are you wearing it? I've never seen you in anything but sweats and trainers."

He was speaking to me as if I hadn't stormed out of the gym, or argued with him outside with Jun at my side, as if Jun hadn't clearly stated my affiliation with her despite whatever feud the two of them clearly had between one another. I glanced towards Markus again, but he had already averted his eyes, and was back to speaking to the man behind the reception desk as if I wasn't even there.

I rolled my eyes. "I have a date."

"You have a date? Who are you going on a date with?" Andres asked incredulously, as if the very notion of me dating was absurd.

"Some guy named Michael," I said with a frown and a shrug. "My flat mate set it up. I've not met him before."

Lynch snorted. "I can't wait to hear all about this. Blind dates never go well."